GFCI protection for automatic facet/hand dryer combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris white

I'm installing wiring and receptacles for some auto-sensor operated sink/hand dryer combos. They are units with a hands free electronic sensor to operate both the water faucet and a built-in hand dryer. The receptacle is located below the unit's sink surface, in a compartment that is completely enclosed. A cord/plug connects the hand dryer, and a plug-in transformer connects the electronic controls. I know that the NEC requires GFCI protection for a drinking fountain, but I don't see a listing for an auto-sink, although the set-up is similar. Any ideas? Thanks.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I'm installing wiring and receptacles for some auto-sensor operated sink/hand dryer combos. They are units with a hands free electronic sensor to operate both the water faucet and a built-in hand dryer. The receptacle is located below the unit's sink surface, in a compartment that is completely enclosed. A cord/plug connects the hand dryer, and a plug-in transformer connects the electronic controls. I know that the NEC requires GFCI protection for a drinking fountain, but I don't see a listing for an auto-sink, although the set-up is similar. Any ideas? Thanks.

(1)
spacer.gif
Bathrooms (B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(B)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel. (1)
spacer.gif
Bathrooms

chris white

I see where you're coming from on that. But at the same time I think the application is a bit different. Although most of these sink units are in bathrooms, there are also a couple that are in other types of rooms. And while technically the receptacles are within 6' of the sink, they actually are inside the mechanical compartments of the sink units, and these compartments have covers that are fastened in place, preventing anything else from being plugged in during normal use. Do you have a GFCI receptacle for a cord connected disposal located in a sink cabinet? Do you have GFCI protection for a dishwasher? The most similar installation is an electric drinking fountain, which more recently has been changed to require GFCI protection, in 422.52, Appliances. But these sink/dryers, which are also fixed appliances, are not addressed. As of now the contractor foreman is not planning on installing GFCIs, but I'll be interested to see what the inspector says...

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Unless I can walk in to the mechanical compartment and drink a cup of coffee while I press the test and reset button it seems this compartment is:
A not a readily accessible.
B is within the bathroom.

Violations of 210.8(B)(1) nonresidential bathroom
OR Violations of 210.8(A)(1) residential bathroom
and 210.8 readily accessible

And yes all non residential kitchen outlets are GFCI.

GFCI breaker would be my route.

And I am not going into
...A cord/plug connects the hand dryer, ..
?? 400.8 ??

I typically see these hand dryers as a 230V 10A load hard wired.

Cheers

chris white

Accessibility doesn't seem to be an issue in this application, and I don't see how that applies in 210.8. The receptacle is covered by the sink unit, but accessed through the cutout in the back. This is typical of drinking fountains as well. The outer cover is removed with a screw driver. Each sink has a 120V 20A dedicated circuit. The unit plugs in with a cord and plug. No violation of 400.8.
As it turns out, after finding paperwork on these units, they are spec'ed by the manufacturer to use 20A GFCI's, and this was probably overlooked when the building plans were engineered. I believe this is being addressed now and the receptacles will be be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.