Transformer secondary conductors (service or feeder conductors?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

couzer1023

Are the secondary conductors of a transformer considered service conductors? Here is what i am searching for...I have a transformer that has the primary and secondary conductors in the same raceway. I don't like it, but i really have no ground to stand on the best i can tell if the secondary conductors are considered as feeder conductors. The code doesn't allow service conductors and feeder/branch conductors in same raceway. Any help on this thought?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are the secondary conductors of a transformer considered service conductors? Here is what i am searching for...I have a transformer that has the primary and secondary conductors in the same raceway. I don't like it, but i really have no ground to stand on the best i can tell if the secondary conductors are considered as feeder conductors. The code doesn't allow service conductors and feeder/branch conductors in same raceway. Any help on this thought?

they are not service conductors unless they are coming from the utility's transformer.

the reason service conductors are not allowed in a raceway with other conductors is because service conductors have no sc or oc protection.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device are feeders.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why don't you like it? What do you see as the hazard when the primary and secondary conductors are in the same raceway?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician

I think this would be permissible as per 300.3(C)(1)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Multiple feeders in the same raceway can be a problem with derating unless the installer or designer did their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.