3 core cables in industrial application

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real-life Females
Occupation
Health
We have a project (expansion of ceramic factory), the client requests us to provide 3.5 core cable"reduced neutral" from transformer to panel & 3 core cable "without neutral" from panel to equipment's control panel, the client says "the control panel includes a transformer to step down the voltage level to the required level by the control circuits". We advised the client to continue using the 3.5 core cables every where because the order of the 3 core cables will be manufactured as a special order which might be more expensive than the order of the 3.5 core cable, aside from that we can utilize the unused neutral as a grounding conductor.
My question here, does the step down tr clear the harmonics of the control circuits? if no, so the neutral wire is necessary up to the control circuits. Please share your idea to find out the best solution.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what is a 3.5 core cable? does the ".5" indicate a reduced size N?

here in the US you would need a grounding conductor in each cable so it would do you no good to try and use the N conductor as a grounding conductor.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

here in the US you would need a grounding conductor in each cable so it would do you no good to try and use the N conductor as a grounding conductor.

Also, the the conditions that justify a reduced neutral will not necessarily justify a reduced EGC.

m sleem

Occupation
Health

3.5 means 3conductors + half conductor for neutral, this was commonly used in the past but now & Due to the non-Linear loads we have to have full conductor size for neutral. If the neutral is not required for the equipment panel, so the .5 neutral shall be used as the grounding conductor.

iwire

Staff member
Am I correct that the basic question here is do you have to provide a neutral even if it is not going to be used?

The answer is generally no.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Am I correct that the basic question here is do you have to provide a neutral even if it is not going to be used?

And without a neutral, there is no need for concern about additive triplen harmonics.

m sleem

Occupation
Health

What is your opinion about using the unused neutral for grounding?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is your opinion about using the unused neutral for grounding?

I don't have an issue with it if it is sized appropriately. I don't use cables much and I don't recall off hand what the rules are on re-identifying individual conductors in a cable.

This seems like a non-US application so what you can or should do there might not apply in a NEC application. A cable here would have to have the grounding conductor built in.

lakee911

I don't have an issue with it if it is sized appropriately. I don't use cables much and I don't recall off hand what the rules are on re-identifying individual conductors in a cable.

This seems like a non-US application so what you can or should do there might not apply in a NEC application. A cable here would have to have the grounding conductor built in.

From what I recall, you're able to re-id any color and size of a wire in a cable for the use as a ground. All cables here in the U.S. don't necessarily have a grounding conductor built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.