We do it nice because we do it twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Not exactly, I believe someone said they heard that the gaskets don't last long.

I have never seen them fail and if they last for a listed application they would certainly last for the unlisted application.

Take it from a guy who has been hands on for 30 something years, this is not rocket science. You tighten it up and it seals. You would have to really go nuts to tighten it so much the gasket squeezes out.

Specifically? No.

But I am in service and this is not a problem I see.

You know where I see the most water damage? In WP boxes that people do not put drain holes in. The water gets in but can't get out.

When I do my work I always assume water will get in either directly or via condensation and keeping that in mind I always make a place for it to drain. A hole in a box, a hole in a conduit body, a snip out of the gasket on the bottom edge etc.

This is a lot to do about nothing considering IMC and RMC have tapered threads but straight threaded couplings that leak a lot. We have to use type W conductors in wet locations anyway and have to arrange the conduit to drain.

This whole topic is really driven by the ridiculous positions of UL.
OMG, I can't believe I would have said almost every word you said here:)

When installing outdoors, it has always been my opinion that more water ends up inside the raceway from condensation than from leakage of fittings. I will not say set screw fittings would hold out more water in all cases but there may be some cases where there is still more condensation water inside than the set screw fitting may end up leaking. This is just ridiculous position by UL, or was driven by someone that had an idea and money to push it through to become requirement. I don't have too much issue with the gasket between the shoulder of the fitting and the box, but those stupid nylon ferrules that have been added to the compression part of the fitting are a joke, and almost all of them make installation more difficult as they like to hang up the raceway when attempting to insert it into the fitting, often requiring you to take the fitting completely apart to assemble it around the raceway instead of simply inserting the raceway and then tightening. All this for something that seals out less water than what is introduced via condensation in almost all cases.:happysad:

:D:D. I work with a guy that will throw an absolute fit if you mark a bend with a sharpie. He also looses sleep if all the strut straps and strut are not the same color.
Even when he knows the painters will cover all of it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.