Receptacle Tester - Multiple "Hots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Agreed, but since these testers are specifically made to be plugged into standard 120V receptacles and perform something like 6 different diagnostic tests simultaneously, they are a great time saver over using a DVM when faced with many outlets to test.

I understand they are a bit quicker.

But saving 15 seconds per outlet vs possible personal injury does not sound that great to me.

Perhaps they could be designed to handle the possibility of line-to-line voltage being present.

Maybe they should be made to handle 277 in case someone wires a receptacle to the wrong circuit, I have seen that happen at least twice.

dinos

Thanks to everyone who provided input...I think I have my final answer...

I just got off the phone with technical support from one mfr and they stated with no hesitation that the operating voltage range for their device was 95-140VAC period. If a higher voltage was applied it would damage the instrument.

So I guess if you use one of these things routinely for receptacle testing, and you run into the funky wiring mis-hap I described at the get-go, you might have to buy a new tester.

ronaldrc

I don't know how in depth the UL test for over voltage.
But these testers are use mostly in residential work.

And ever who sets up the test should have enough Electrical knowledge
to know these could be subject to 250 volts because of loose or disconnected
neutrals on Multiwire branch circuits.

And with this in mind I would be inclined to believe they would be safe with 250 volts across
them, they are neon lamps and they would probably just burn brighter.

Ronald :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't know how in depth the UL test for over voltage.
But these testers are use mostly in residential work.

And with this in mind I would be inclined to believe they would be safe with 250 volts across
them, they are neon lamps and they would probably just burn brighter.

Ronald :)
The older ones used neon only. Modern ones may use LEDs instead.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hello Ronald, hope all is well. What happened to the missing square puzzle on your web site?

Roger

dinos

...But these testers are use mostly in residential work.

Taking it one step further upstream, I was hoping that the companies who manufacture these devices thought about the same possibility and made them to withstand the higher voltage scenarios.

I think we should be able to plug them in without hesitation into 120V receptacles within our homes as well as 120V receptacles which are part of an MOA in a data center rack.

ronaldrc

Hello Ronald, hope all is well. What happened to the missing square puzzle on your web site?

Roger

Hey Roger doing great

I tried to slim my site down a bit I'll put the Illusions back on if you want didn't
realize anyone was interested in it.

Let me know.

Ronald:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hey Roger doing great

I tried to slim my site down a bit I'll put the Illusions back on if you want didn't
realize anyone was interested in it.

Let me know.

Ronald:)

Ronald, I can't speak for everyone but I enjoyed them. :thumbsup:

Roger

hurk27

Most of these testers are of neon design, they will have a small resistor inline with the neon bulb, since a neon bulb is voltage limiting some what like a MOV, it will start pulling a much higher current as the voltage exceeds its rating, this in most cases will destroy the resistor maybe to the point it burns open, that is about all that will happen, the resistor will turn into a fuse.

But like others have said, these testers can produce many false positives leaving you to think you have a properly wired receptacle when you don't, to properly trouble shoot a receptacle you should be using a proven method like a wiggy (solenoid type meter) that will give you much more info than these type of tester can, the above type meter also slightly loads the circuit under test to eliminate ghost voltage that can also make trouble shooting harder, also use a known good reference point for all you test with a meter or you will not know what your testing.

kwired

Electron manager
There may be damage to the tester if applied to too high of voltage, but it could very well be able to contain that damage and not harm the user which is also important.

Status
Not open for further replies.