Residential Ground Mounts and Fences

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

Its been awhile since we discussed protecting ground mount arrays wiring from readily accessible approach. On ground mount installations is my area they are having fences installed to restrict access. Is there any other solution accepted in your area? Such as maybe a wall of bushes with 1 gate for service access?

I see they added the option of GUARDED to the 2014 NEC.

(A) Wiring Systems. All raceway and cable wiring methods
included in this Code, other wiring systems and fittings
specifically listed for use on PV arrays, and wiring as part
of a listed system shall be permitted. Where wiring devices
with integral enclosures are used, sufficient length of cable
shall be provided to facilitate replacement.
Where photovoltaic source and output circuits operating
at maximum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed
in readily accessible locations, circuit conductors
shall be guarded or installed in a raceway.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Its been awhile since we discussed protecting ground mount arrays wiring from readily accessible approach. On ground mount installations is my area they are having fences installed to restrict access. Is there any other solution accepted in your area? Such as maybe a wall of bushes with 1 gate for service access?

I see they added the option of GUARDED to the 2014 NEC.

(A) Wiring Systems. All raceway and cable wiring methods
included in this Code, other wiring systems and fittings
specifically listed for use on PV arrays, and wiring as part
of a listed system shall be permitted. Where wiring devices
with integral enclosures are used, sufficient length of cable
shall be provided to facilitate replacement.
Where photovoltaic source and output circuits operating
at maximum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed
in readily accessible locations, circuit conductors
shall be guarded or installed in a raceway.

Can you post the section that's in?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Okay,in that section they're talking about guarding the circuit conductors,so if it's in pipe you would not need a fence or bushes.

2014 NEC,690.31 Methods Permitted.

(A) Wiring Systems.

Where PV source and output circuits operating at maximum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed in readily accessible locations, circuit conductors shall be guarded or^ installed in a raceway.

I think that is your question correct?

Also keep in mind that there may be a mass amendment to the 2014 NEC section 690.31 (A) , Maybe someone has that , although I've not found the mass amendments yet.

shortcircuit2

No, I'm talking about PV source and output circuits that are readily accessible...such as located on the backside of modules used in an array.

They added guarded for 2014 so that will be open to much interpretation...

There is nothing in the Mass ROP on 690.31...

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Well that is a constructive change. It will definitely be open to interpretation, but my take is that it allows an installer to use any adequate material or equipment to protect conductors, rather than having to use one of the raceway types described in Chapter 3.

In particular, if a racking product is designed with integral protection for conductors (something I've advocated on this forum whenever the subject has come up), there should be no need for a debate with an AHJ about whether that protection constitutes a 'raceway'.

Anyone think there's a difference between 'guarded' and 'protected'? The NEC usually uses 'protected' for this sort of thing. Of course, it doesn't define that either...

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well that is a constructive change. It will definitely be open to interpretation, but my take is that it allows an installer to use any adequate material or equipment to protect conductors, rather than having to use one of the raceway types described in Chapter 3.

In particular, if a racking product is designed with integral protection for conductors (something I've advocated on this forum whenever the subject has come up), there should be no need for a debate with an AHJ about whether that protection constitutes a 'raceway'.

Anyone think there's a difference between 'guarded' and 'protected'? The NEC usually uses 'protected' for this sort of thing. Of course, it doesn't define that either...
The difference between guarding and protecting might have something to do with how close to the wires the mechanism is.
Protection seems to connote preventing damage, even by something like UV or hail, while guarding seems to connote prevention of access, specifically by humans.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Okay,in that section they're talking about guarding the circuit conductors,so if it's in pipe you would not need a fence or bushes.
How would one put the "pigtail" conductors between modules in a string in conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How would one put the "pigtail" conductors between modules in a string in conduit?
You could just put wire mesh or solid metal to cover those areas of the back of the panels. As long as it prevents access by requiring a tool to get at (touch) the wires.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You could just put wire mesh or solid metal to cover those areas of the back of the panels. As long as it prevents access by requiring a tool to get at (touch) the wires.
That was my point - you can't put those wires in conduit.

BillK-AZ

And if you found a way to put the wire & connectors in conduit, you would need to bond the conduit.

If wire mesh or solid metal is used to cover those areas of the back of the panels, it will need to be bonded.

Status
Not open for further replies.