Which code should I study? 2005 or 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

viking282

Purchased Mikes packaged 2011 kit and have made great progress. I just learned that my state (MS) uses the 2005 code year for the exam. Do ya'll see any issues in continuing my studies using the 2011 code as far as the exam goes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well there are some changes in the 2011 that may effect your score. Is the test an open book exam? If so then you should have no issue if they provide the 2005 book.

viking282

Test is open book and I will be allowed to bring my OWN tabbed and highlighted copy. I currently have a 2011 copy but was thinking about purchasing a 2005 tabbed and highlighted copy. But....study material is 2011. I guess I could purchase the 2005 and use both while studying and bring only the 2005 into the exam.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, if you know how to look up and find code references and are not trying to memorize answers for your test, you should be fine.
You just need to know the changes between 2005 & 2011.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
IMO, if you know how to look up and find code references and are not trying to memorize answers for your test, you should be fine.
You just need to know the changes between 2005 & 2011.

Absolutely! 90% of passing the test is knowing how to navigate the code book and then interpet what it says.
If you will be using the 2005 book what it says is the correct answer. forget what 2008 & 2011 say.

Status
Not open for further replies.