main breaker location or 2 main breakers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldsax

this is a 2 buildings in 1 property , as you can see in the drawing , there are 3 existings meters and main breakers located in 1 building , 1 of these meters and main used to fed a sub panel in the office building but that sub panel is now being fed from a different panel , so there is a spare meter and main breaker that the owner wants to use to feed the other building (used to have its own service but was removed and cancelled at POCO), this 2 building its 1 property and there is a bridge on the second floor between the 2 buildings.my question is ,if I need the main breaker for the apartment building on that building or can stay on the other building and feed the apartment building? if I need the MB on the building that it serves , can I keep the existing MB on the other building (owner wants that , ), I hope this is not too confusing , many thanks

Attachments

• downtown.jpg
    downtown.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0

ronaldsax

I think my main question here is if the MB has to be on the building that it serves or can be locate in the building across of it.

kwired

Electron manager
I think my main question here is if the MB has to be on the building that it serves or can be locate in the building across of it.

A building can be supplied from another building.

The second building must still have a main disconnect in/on the second building.

See art 225 part II.

mwm1752

A building can be supplied from another building.

The second building must still have a main disconnect in/on the second building.

See art 225 part II.

If both buildings are set on the same foundation they are 1 building otherwise I agree with Kwired

mcclary's electrical

If both buildings are set on the same foundation they are 1 building otherwise I agree with Kwired

I disagree with this. If there are engineered firewalls then they can be considered seperate structures. This is how we can have multiple services on a large building that appears to be all one structure.

mwm1752

I disagree with this. If there are engineered firewalls then they can be considered seperate structures. This is how we can have multiple services on a large building that appears to be all one structure.

Not the only way to get to multiple services 230.2 (B)(C)(D)(E)-- But in any case this appears to be a feeder with a meter/main -- even in a multi use building you are allowed to have the main disconnect to every occupancy type panel in a single location provided access or maintenace supervision. Several ways to skin this cat

david

How many meters did the second building have?

Is the garage a commercial parking garage serving the office building?

I only ask because it sounds like you are running a feeder to an existing meter location on the second building. It also sounds like your adding a main breaker to replace the meter (s) at the second building. Don?t forget you must remove the neutral to ground bond at the second building. Bonding the equipment ground and service rated enclosure to the grounding electrode system at the second building

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.