Unexplained voltage on switchleg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean_Carb

We have a switch leg leaving a switch box going directly (supposedly) to a can. When 110v is applied to one of the legs, 55v comes back on the other leg and ground wire (ground being disconnected). When voltage is applied to the other leg, the same thing happens. No continuity between conductors, no continuity to ground, and no devices are installed. Any ideas??

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We have a switch leg leaving a switch box going directly (supposedly) to a can. When 110v is applied to one of the legs, 55v comes back on the other leg and ground wire (ground being disconnected). When voltage is applied to the other leg, the same thing happens. No continuity between conductors, no continuity to ground, and no devices are installed. Any ideas??
If you are using a high impedance meter, then the voltage you measure on the ground (EGC) wire could easily be just capacitively coupled stray voltage, of no particular concern.
The fact that it is symmetric at half the applied voltage supports that.

But I would do DC continuity tests and isolation tests just to be sure unless I had a meter available with a low input impedance to verify that.

Sean_Carb

If you are using a high impedance meter, then the voltage you measure on the ground (EGC) wire could easily be just capacitively coupled stray voltage, of no particular concern.
The fact that it is symmetric at half the applied voltage supports that.

But I would do DC continuity tests and isolation tests just to be sure unless I had a meter available with a low input impedance to verify that.

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by isolation test?

John120/240

The way I read his description he has power at the switch. "switch leg" is just that the switched conductor going to the can light. Around here for three way we use "travelers" and "point"

Then he mentions "applying voltage to other leg"

Maybe the OP has disconnected both black and white from source power. Maybe in trouble shooting he sends power to the light on black then measures the white. Then reverse the procedure. I do not know

Status
Not open for further replies.