Old Kwh Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tek9

Member *
Hi,I'm an Aussie was doing a rewire in Sydney,total replacement of everything dating from the 1920s,old 2 phase service,240-415v had 2 meters,marked Consolidated Edison,240v 60cycle,2w 40 amps,young kid who was watching my daughter and me work,never seen a lady electrician before,said they should be 50Hz,asked if they were being overcharged.the POCO guys gave them to us,they didn't know either,any ideas?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi,I'm an Aussie was doing a rewire in Sydney,total replacement of everything dating from the 1920s,old 2 phase service,240-415v had 2 meters,marked Consolidated Edison,240v 60cycle,2w 40 amps,young kid who was watching my daughter and me work,never seen a lady electrician before,said they should be 50Hz,asked if they were being overcharged.the POCO guys gave them to us,they didn't know either,any ideas?
Since the mechanical (rotating disk) kWh meters are effectively integrating the instantaneous product of the current waveform and the voltage waveform, my initial take would be that the frequency will not have a large effect (if any) on the speed of the disk for a given power consumption.
It is not as if the meter is counting cycles (which at some level a digital meter might do.)

At some point, the resistance of the disk and the magnitude of the induced current will put a limit on how low the power frequency sensed by the meter can go. If the disk were superconducting, you could theoretically measure all the way down to DC. But since it is not superconducting, the response to 50Hz input will, if anything, be lower than it should be.
POCO gave them a gift of power.

tek9

Member *
Thank you,place had 3 service fuses,a Jesus Christ nail in one of the live ones,POCO had replaced the neutral with a 100a HRC job,panel consisted of a British Mem type 3 phase every third fuse on both sides unused,fused neutrals,no ground wires any where,except fo the HWS,thru the copper water pipes,no MEN,SORRY MBJ,stove had neutral trapped to the frame,old GE Monitor Top fridge had a 2kva 240-120 tranny mounted in a steelbox,old fridge still runnin fine.

Besoeker

Thank you,place had 3 service fuses,a Jesus Christ nail in one of the live ones,POCO had replaced the neutral with a 100a HRC job,panel consisted of a British Mem type 3 phase every third fuse on both sides unused,fused neutrals,no ground wires any where,except fo the HWS,thru the copper water pipes,no MEN,SORRY MBJ,stove had neutral trapped to the frame,old GE Monitor Top fridge had a 2kva 240-120 tranny mounted in a steelbox,old fridge still runnin fine.
Sounds like a bladdy mess, mate.
The JC nail comment might not go down well here......

norcal

Sounds like a bladdy mess, mate.
The JC nail comment might not go down well here......

Considering the owner of this forum is religious, that is a understatement, plus things seem to be preferred to be kept to a "G" rating here, not that is a bad thing too much profanity can get tiresome.

kwired

Electron manager
Considering the owner of this forum is religious, that is a understatement, plus things seem to be preferred to be kept to a "G" rating here, not that is a bad thing too much profanity can get tiresome.

I'm still trying to determine if it was profanity or just a way to describe something, maybe the description would make a lot of sense if we saw a picture of what was mentioned - as in maybe the nail actually looked like the nails that were used for crucifixion in those times. If that were the case I see no problem with it at all but could have maybe been worded a little differently to help prevent misunderstanding.

Besoeker

I'm still trying to determine if it was profanity or just a way to describe something, maybe the description would make a lot of sense if we saw a picture of what was mentioned - as in maybe the nail actually looked like the nails that were used for crucifixion in those times. If that were the case I see no problem with it at all but could have maybe been worded a little differently to help prevent misunderstanding.
I don't think deliberate offence was intended by the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.