cut the cord, bring a whip

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I get to bring a noninspected jacuzzi up to rigorous standard now.

Motor is installed so that gfi is inaccessible.
Its not bonded.
So I pull the motor out of the little hatch and ... have to cut the plumbing out to do that and... cant do anything else.
Everything is all tiled around and on the wall behind.
The other wall behind is way up in the air only accessible by rope.

I haven't been able to find a motor with a longer whip or hard wire config
That seems to be the only way to long up the wire and get it to the tile wall behind
but then the disconnect would not be within sight. Inspector seems ok with that.

Long story short, any thing I may have missed:

get a motor with a longer whip or hardwire - does the disconnect have to be visible?

keep 36" cord, and if so, then
Can I Cut the end of the sjo cord and land it in a gfi box and remain compliant? Somehow I doubt it, it's not a fluorescent fixture.
Otherwise I will have to build some kind of second access hatch in the tile wall=0

TMI:
Hard to describe, the photos may help.
http://flickr.com/gp/sfpow/22s892/

bonding w #8 to cold water
the old #12 went to the romex =)

Last edited:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
shorter version

shorter version

Jac: I think we will need to bring new ct from panel and green wire down from the top and land then in a new access hatch we carve in the wall behind toilet

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Alteration of equipment

Alteration of equipment

Flexible cord cannot take the place of permanent wiring with few exceptions
Cut cord violates UL listing of appliance. Alteration of equipment
Art. 400.7; Uses Permitted
Fluorescent light whip never had a cord cap on it.

Local disconnect can be omitted if there's a lockout at the breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as GFCI needing to be accessible - and in most recent NEC editions it must be "readily accessible" all you need to do is install a GFCI circuit breaker - much less work and cost when all is done.

But even if you do that you still may have a problem with accessibility to the original outlet box.

My vote is new circuit or relocation of existing so that you can access the outlet box easily from the access hole. Depending on how you inspectors look at it you still probably need the GFCI somewhere other than inside that pump compartment though. Even a GFCI flush in the wall right next to the tub would be readily accessible, and feed through to a receptacle within the pump compartment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As far as GFCI needing to be accessible - and in most recent NEC editions it must be "readily accessible" all you need to do is install a GFCI circuit breaker - much less work and cost when all is done.

But even if you do that you still may have a problem with accessibility to the original outlet box.

My vote is new circuit or relocation of existing so that you can access the outlet box easily from the access hole. Depending on how you inspectors look at it you still probably need the GFCI somewhere other than inside that pump compartment though. Even a GFCI flush in the wall right next to the tub would be readily accessible, and feed through to a receptacle within the pump compartment.
And if you are concerned about placement of a receptacle there, use a dead front GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.