Sign for de-icing equipment per NEC 426.13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
What are acceptable locations for the sign required by 2008 NEC section 426.13 for de-icing systems?

I have to say that in all my years of working in Colorado, Wyoming and the West with a ton of snow melt systems I have never once seen such a sign. You're right, it's right there in the code but I never heard of it being enforced.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have to say that in all my years of working in Colorado, Wyoming and the West with a ton of snow melt systems I have never once seen such a sign. You're right, it's right there in the code but I never heard of it being enforced.
I guess the only potential out is the "appropriate" part of the section.
If the de-icing installation is outdoors but on a roof gutter or other inaccessible or controlled access place, then it may not be appropriate to place warning signs anywhere. :)
...appropriate caution signs or markings....
If the heating system is embedded in concrete (e.g. a sidewalk), then what caution would be appropriate there either? Somewhere where it would be seen by someone about to jackhammer the concrete?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Me neither. As far as an acceptable location, I would think putting it on a stick and a string that stays in front of the inspector while he walks around would make the installation easier for him to sign off on.

iwire

Staff member
When I have purchased snow melting equipment stickers came with it to apply to the areas. In my case gutters and down spouts.

When I have purchased snow melting equipment stickers came with it to apply to the areas. In my case gutters and down spouts.
Thanks, this is helpful. The application here is ice-melting at the eave of a 3-story, 13-unit, residential condo. It seems that the intention of this Code section is to warn someone working on or in the vicinity of the system that there is an electrocution hazard. Since this is a 3-story structure, even an electrical "bite" could cause a worker on the roof (re-roofing or repair) to fall to his/her death. It seems that in this case that durable, conspicuous "labels" should be placed on top of the cover panel of the de-icing system. Again, thanks.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As I wire states the lables come with the Deicing materials. I use them and put them on the panel as well as a junction box at the eave.

As I wire states the lables come with the Deicing materials. I use them and put them on the panel as well as a junction box at the eave.

I contacted the manufacture and learned that they do supply such labels. Thanks for your input. (When you say that you put them on the panel, is that the electrical loadcenter/panelboard or the cover panel for the eave de-icing system?)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I contacted the manufacture and learned that they do supply such labels. Thanks for your input. (When you say that you put them on the panel, is that the electrical loadcenter/panelboard or the cover panel for the eave de-icing system?)
''
We do both as we have so many labels that come with the equip.
on goes on the panel that houses the 30ma trip GFCI and others on the local bell box near the eave or downspout.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks, this is helpful. The application here is ice-melting at the eave of a 3-story, 13-unit, residential condo. It seems that the intention of this Code section is to warn someone working on or in the vicinity of the system that there is an electrocution hazard. Since this is a 3-story structure, even an electrical "bite" could cause a worker on the roof (re-roofing or repair) to fall to his/her death. It seems that in this case that durable, conspicuous "labels" should be placed on top of the cover panel of the de-icing system. Again, thanks.

I agree that the intention is likely to warn people of a potential electrocution hazard. Now just how often do we need to place a label on a gutter with de-icing cable installed in it? Code doesn't tell us, so is one on the entire installation acceptable, maybe every 50 feet, maybe every 5 feet, maybe every foot?? How can we be certain it is seen by anyone that may be in any danger? Next question - how many languages does the sign need to be printed in?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.