fork lift charger circuit size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I have a customer that wants a 60 amp 3 phase 208 voolt circuit installed for a fork lift charger. I was told it is a 60 amp circuit by the fork lift service tech who rewired the charger for 208 volt 3 phase.
I ma trying to locate a code article that gives me the rating and size of the circuit do I need to adjust by 125%?
the only NEC artilce I can find is 511.10 . where would I look under in the NEC for fork lift chargers?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
You have the paper work? See what size primary fuses the charger takes at 208, that usually has the 125 built in.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Other than the one you found, there is no Code Article specific to chargers.
I have not seen one that meets the "max current for 3 hours or more" definition required to be "Continuous".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Battery chargers rarely take full load for any length of time. Unless you can find something in the instructions that says otherwise, or it is a very long run, I think a 60A circuit is quite adequate. In any case, since it has 60A fuses in it already, what would be the point of making the circuit 125% more?

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Charger current

Charger current

We have an electric fork lift, with a 3 phase 208 volt charger. It pulls around 48 amps or so for the first few seconds, then drops off fairly quickly. I haven't checked it after 3 hours, but I would be surprised if it is more than 30 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.