210.70 (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Doing a garage/storage/maint. building at a housing complex. The fire marshal is requiring the GC to install a gable fan in the attic and duct the suction side in the ceiling because of them storing lawn mowers. By 210.70 (C) I don't see where a light is required in the attic. What do you think?

cadpoint

Doing a garage/storage/maint. building at a housing complex. The fire marshal is requiring the GC to install a gable fan in the attic and duct the suction side in the ceiling because of them storing lawn mowers. By 210.70 (C) I don't see where a light is required in the attic. What do you think?

I think you'll find it in a related building code. Like this based on a listing Like this

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the fact that the fan is in the attic makes the requirement for a light necessary or am I missing your point.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Will the fan unit be mounted from the exterior or interior of the attic?

If mounted from the exterior, will the motor be inside the ductwork?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Does the fan qualify as "equipment requiring servicing"?

It will sooner or later :cool: but I can't say as it is required. I think the fan ideal is even excessive, a vent high and a vent low would be more effective and not be subject to power failures. It is funny how the building inspector asks for something and everyone pitches a "where is it in the code" fit, but the fire dept ask for something and everyone says OK (we do have a fire code and nobody says,"show me where it is in the fire code") :lol:

ceb58

Isn't what you've quoted is for a receptacle and not a light?

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall
be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(C) Other Than Dwelling Units.

For attics and underfloor
spaces containing equipment requiring servicing, such as
heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment, at
least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled
by a wall switch shall be installed in such spaces. At least
one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to
these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or
near the equipment requiring servicing.

No fairly sure it a light. :happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Would same fire marshal require similar ventilation for a cart shed at a country club?

Even if electric carts are prevalent, they may give off hydrogen gas during charging and are probably more of a hazard than a few lawn maintenance machines.

What about garages primarily intended for "on road" automobiles if they were involved in this housing complex?

beanland

Ventilation is not equipment requiring servicing

Ventilation is not equipment requiring servicing

An exhaust fan is not heating, refrigeration or air conditioning equipment. The code is quite specific. Vent fans are not included or the list would say "ventilation." But, ultimately, the AHJ has jurisdiction.

ceb58

An exhaust fan is not heating, refrigeration or air conditioning equipment. The code is quite specific. Vent fans are not included or the list would say "ventilation." But, ultimately, the AHJ has jurisdiction.

Called inspector and his feeling was that a light and/or a receptacle was NOT required. As you said, because it is not a piece of equipment listed, then its not required. He did say that he would not fail it if I did put one in :).

kwired

Electron manager

What list?

It just says "equipment requiring servicing" and then gives a couple examples.

I can tell you from quite a bit of experiences that exhaust fans generally require servicing at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.