Bolting Compression Crimps Together less than 600v

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project that requires me to splice copper conductors larger that #8 awg by means of high press connections and heat shrink(no split bolts or Polaris taps). My thoughts were to use two connectors bolted together using lock washers. This would allow the conductors to be disconnected if needed instead of irreversible butt splices. Can someone give me some insight to the pros and cons of this? Thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am working on a project that requires me to splice copper conductors larger that #8 awg by means of high press connections and heat shrink(no split bolts or Polaris taps). My thoughts were to use two connectors bolted together using lock washers. This would allow the conductors to be disconnected if needed instead of irreversible butt splices. Can someone give me some insight to the pros and cons of this? Thanks.

why would you want to disconnect them? a splice is supposed to be permanent.

The splices I am making are not for motor leads, but this information shows that this is a connection that should be acceptable. The illustration has the two connectors one on top if the other. Wouldn't it be better to connect them end to end?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The splices I am making are not for motor leads, but this information shows that this is a connection that should be acceptable. The illustration has the two connectors one on top if the other. Wouldn't it be better to connect them end to end?
You could do it that way too,but I really don't see a problem either way as long as they are made up with the proper tork .

Status
Not open for further replies.