Athletic Facilities Article 220

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

For the purposes of Article 220 is a separate athletic facility including dressing rooms, weight rooms, public restrooms and concession areas considered school?

3 VA per sq. ft., demand factors, optional service calc method, etc.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I think it depends on type of locker room. If it's professional team, I could see power usage higher than a place of assembly. If its a high school, than I would agree.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it depends on type of locker room. If it's professional team, I could see power usage higher than a place of assembly. If its a high school, than I would agree.

regardless of what it is, and what the minimum calculations might allow, would it not make sense to accommodate the known loads or likely loads?

iwire

Staff member
regardless of what it is, and what the minimum calculations might allow, would it not make sense to accommodate the known loads or likely loads?

Known loads you have no choice, future loads sure. If you are not concerned with costs and getting the job.

Often the people in charge of construction budgets are not the same people in charge of repair and up keep budgets. So they have no intrest in spending a dollar today to save 5 dollars next month.

kwired

Electron manager
For the purposes of Article 220 is a separate athletic facility including dressing rooms, weight rooms, public restrooms and concession areas considered school?

3 VA per sq. ft., demand factors, optional service calc method, etc.
I am guessing you are primarily asking about table 220.12.

Why wouldn't the gymnasium portion be considered an assembly hall, auditorium or similar and the general lighting for that portion be a separate value from the locker rooms or other areas?

I will admit there is no category in the table that fits the locker room very well, but it is not really the same load density as the auditorium portion of such a facility either. Then if you have a facility that has a place for spectators, you usually have different lighting levels in spectator areas then you have in the main event areas.

If bidding on such a place with no upfront design, you are going to have problems. If there is lighting specifications, then just bid according to actual loads

wirebender

There are no specs, yet.
Just trying to size the service so we can give the contractor a price to go in with.
Whoever gets it will have to get engineered plans.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.