Pendant fixture after sheetrock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

So we now have the rule that ceiling mount fixture boxes must support 50lbs .Im used to putting in pendant lights after the Sheetrock is up I cant come up with a box that is code compliant other then a OW fan brace box which seams like gross over kill .Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So we now have the rule that ceiling mount fixture boxes must support 50lbs .Im used to putting in pendant lights after the Sheetrock is up I cant come up with a box that is code compliant other then a OW fan brace box which seams like gross over kill .Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Don't mean to be a smart alec but put the box in ahead of time. Are you talking over the mirror in the bath area? That is a different requirement

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why would you wait to install pendants after sheet rock? That is unless you were called out after rough!
Using a cut in box in the ceiling is not a good thing to do anyway as I would not have trusted those boxes even for the lightest of fixtures.
I think you need to change your methods.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is a big reason I insist that the builders know exactly where the islands or cabinets are going to be located. Your only option is to install a retro fan box. I rarely cut in boxes after the fact

electricmanscott

I very rarely install boxes over Islands and in some cases tables, until finish. If I'm near a ceiling joist I use a smartbox. Otherwise I just use a retro fan box which is really no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.