Chinese Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

tek9

Member *
Went out to look at a job a sparky was having trouble with simple cct wired through a GFCI to a bench grinder,motor started,then tripped the breaker,checked this that,then found the cable had 4 ohms resistance on the noodle,replaced the romex with 3 core 10mm,all I had on the truck,everything ok,checked the other roll all the neutral was copper plated steel,took it back,.replaced without question,you guys there ever have this stuff happen to you?:jawdrop:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
counterfeit products from china are not unusual.

one would not think there is enough money in copper plating steel wire and then tooling up to make it look like romex to make the effort worthwhile.

maybe it was copper plated aluminum?

PetrosA

Went out to look at a job a sparky was having trouble with simple cct wired through a GFCI to a bench grinder,motor started,then tripped the breaker,checked this that,then found the cable had 4 ohms resistance on the noodle,replaced the romex with 3 core 10mm,all I had on the truck,everything ok,checked the other roll all the neutral was copper plated steel,took it back,.replaced without question,you guys there ever have this stuff happen to you?:jawdrop:

To my knowledge, very little of the cable or wire we get here is manufactured in China. The bulk is made in US, Mexico or Canada. I know some of the wire and cable that comes in products (lights, computers, appliances) is made in China, but that is assembly type stuff and usually seems like pretty decent grade.

tek9

Member *
That's what I thought originally,but a test with a magnet proved it was ferrous metal,if it had been Al and the green/yellow wire,it would have been ok.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I wonder why anyone would go to the trouble.

Copper is expensive. Doing this on a large scale will be profitable. Even more profitable than selling copper clad Al as copper, once you have a source for the wire.
And copper clad steel wire by itself has legitimate applications.

Tapatalk...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Copper is expensive. Doing this on a large scale will be profitable. Even more profitable than selling copper clad Al as copper, once you have a source for the wire.
And copper clad steel wire by itself has legitimate applications.

Tapatalk...
There is copper clad insulated steel wire?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There is copper clad insulated steel wire?

Apparently. :)

More seriously, given the existence of uninsulated steel wire it is not difficult to run it through the same line you use to insulate copper wire.

And actually I would question the legitimacy of the insulation in the fake cable too. :(

Tapatalk...

Ragin Cajun

Quality? Ha.. Think of all the Counterfeit breakers, hardware, batteries, etc. coming out of wonderful China. These could cost human life! What are they thinking!!!? Oops, it's all about the $$$$$$!

I consider most China electric products as "CCC". Cheap China C___.

RC

tek9

Member *
Had other problems with Chinese stuff like inverters in solar panels that just explode,ballasts supplied with the wrong voltage,like 120volts for a 240 cct,GPOs supposed rated at 10 amps,that just melt with a 5 amp load,etc,well xxxx them,will definitely look at bit closer now.:rant:

jcassity

sick part is,,,, everyone on this message board in 10 or so years wont be gate keeping the good hard work any longer,,, the younger generation
will not know what is right nor wrong, better yet, that will even apply to inspectors as time marches on.

reason why?

nobody likes to read anymore....

if its not an app or has a game controller on it, there is very little interest in to the making of this magic we call power.

jcassity

Had other problems with Chinese stuff like inverters in solar panels that just explode,ballasts supplied with the wrong voltage,like 120volts for a 240 cct,GPOs supposed rated at 10 amps,that just melt with a 5 amp load,etc,well xxxx them,will definitely look at bit closer now.:rant:

took you this long?
i was saying that back when it was unpopular to say bad things like that.

Bill Clinton ate his words two weeks ago on a interview....
he said, "if i had known back then the effects NFTA would end up like it is today,, it certainly would have been orgainzed much differntly".

Status
Not open for further replies.