welding cable for -48V DC input on an IT equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

Depending on what you buy, the rating can be 2000V, 90degC.

Insulation can be EPR which we used.

The following is from Southwire.

SOUTHWIRE
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheetOEM71
dlo-Diesel Locomotive Cable
90?C 2000 Volt DLO, UL RHH/RHW 600 Volt,
CSA R90 1000 Volt

STANDARDS AND REFERENCES
? UL Listed
? Accepted for listing by MSHA
? CSA R90
? RoHS Compliant

90?C Temperature
Rating
Excellent Impact and
Abrasion Resistance
R esists Oils, Acids,
Alkalies, Heat, Flame
F lexible Tinned
Copper Stranding
FT 4 Upon Request
CONSTRUCTION
? Conductor:
10 AWG through 777.7 MCM stranded tinned annealed copper per AAR 589
? Insulation:
Premium-grade 90?C EP
? Jacket:
VIPER? CPE, black
? Sample Jacket Marking:
SIZES 10 THROUGH 1 AWG ? Southwire VIPER? (SIZE) (STRANDING) 90?C DLO
2000 VOLTS P-7K-123040 MSHA CSA R90 1000V (UL) RHH or RHW 600 VOLTS
SIZES 1/0 THROUGH 646.4 ? Southwire VIPER? (SIZE) 90?C DLO
2000 VOLTS P-7K-123040 MSHA CSA R90 1000V (-40?C) FT-1 ? (UL) RHH or RHW
600 VOLTS SUNLIGHT RESISTANT FOR CT USE
NOTE: (535.3 AND 646.4 MCM printed (UL) RHH OR RHW 2000 VOLTS)
SIZE 777.7 MCM ONLY ? Southwire VIPER? C(UL) TYPE RHW-2 2KV VW-1 FOR CT
USE TYPE DLO 2000V 90?C P-102 MSHA

It will cost more than THHN, etc., but if you have a difficult situation it can same $$$ overall! We have used it between transformers and 480V switchgear when space is tight. Just love the FLEX qualities! Lots of lugs out there for the purpose.

RC

jcassity

I don't see anything in those sections that even suggest that the NEC requires you to "adhear to the most stringent standard". There may be other standards that apply, but the NEC does not say what you say it says.

I didnt think you really wanted us to cite every instance pertaining to the AHJ,,, but in this case the AHJ is not the NEC, plain an simple the NEC is not anywhere near ready to handle this industry.
The book itself would be as large as the 2011 NEC unto itself.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I didnt think you really wanted us to cite every instance pertaining to the AHJ,,, but in this case the AHJ is not the NEC, plain an simple the NEC is not anywhere near ready to handle this industry.

The NEC is a safety standard not a performance standard which I would bet the other standards you mentioned are.

jcassity

not really, the telecommunications standards integrate safety and other things as well..

the NEC should simply state when it comes to DC power to refer to the GR1275 and Telcordia and couple that knowledge with the NEC.
The GR and Tel standards always "appear" to exceed the NEC but imagine knowing you have to engineer for two different voltages on each circuit or device.
low & high voltages which offer two distintively different amperage results.
thats just the tip of the iceburg

i highly encourage a detailed but easy to do read up in this thread below, it will fast track any of the smart folks quickly to the path of doing this stuff right.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=157555

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My point is that the rules that are found in the NEC are the rules. There is nothing in the NEC that says you have to go by the other standards that you mentioned. That may be a good design practice, or required by the project specs, but is not a requirement of the NEC. The AHJ can only enforce the adopted standards and if the standards have not been adopted they cannot be enforced by the AHJ.
The AHJ can never be a document or standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.