Cord Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlk

What are the height restrictions for cords?

I have a large warehouse area that has 38' ceilings and I need to power 6 tables with 30A 3p feeders there is nothing to support conduit can you use a cord drop from that height, can it be hardwired or does it have to have a plug end?

Thanks for the help.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a large warehouse area that has 38' ceilings and I need to power 6 tables with 30A 3p feeders there is nothing to support conduit....
Thanks for the help.
If you can use a flexible cord pendant, at that length you might have to add a messenger wire for vertical support.
Can you run a semi-structural member (e.g power pole) all the way to the floor and attach conduit to that or do the tables have to be movable to different locations?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, 400.7 & 8 would require the cord to have a cord body or pendant box termination.
Golddigger's messenger wire is a good idea especially if you terminate inc a pendant, multi-receptacle box.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO, 400.7 & 8 would require the cord to have a cord body or pendant box termination.
Golddigger's messenger wire is a good idea especially if you terminate inc a pendant, multi-receptacle box.

I have seen pendant switches for hoists that have a steel wire within the cord, for support. That steel wire was bolted inside the hoist as well as to the pendant body. None were ever the length the OP needs, but sounds like a good application for such a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.