Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeking information on temperature rating of terminals of electric ranges. Do ranges have standard temperature rating of terminals for supply conductors. If they do where would I find it.
The question arises from the Code 110.14(C)(1)(a)(1)(2)&(3)
(a)(1) use 60 degree conductors
(a)(2) Higher degree wire permitted but must be based on 60 degrees (310.15(B)(16)
(a)(3) Conductors with higher temperature ratings if the equipment is listed and identified for use with such conductors.
My particular situation involves a range.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm seeking information on temperature rating of terminals of electric ranges. Do ranges have standard temperature rating of terminals for supply conductors. If they do where would I find it.
The question arises from the Code 110.14(C)(1)(a)(1)(2)&(3)
(a)(1) use 60 degree conductors
(a)(2) Higher degree wire permitted but must be based on 60 degrees (310.15(B)(16)
(a)(3) Conductors with higher temperature ratings if the equipment is listed and identified for use with such conductors.
My particular situation involves a range.
As I see it, that particular section is aimed at guiding you about what to do when you do not know the temperature rating of the terminations, as may be the case when they are part of an appliance rather than a panel or other circuit device.
For some appliances, the use of higher temperature insulation is required because they produce heat and the terminal "ambient temperature" will be higher as a result. Not necessarily true for a range, depending on where the terminals are located.
If higher temperature conductors are required, then the ampacity of the wire has to be calculated based on the 60 degree column as a correction for ambient temperature of the wire.
You can use 60 degree wire if the installation instructions allow it.
If the installation instructions do not require higher temp, but specifically allow it as part of the listing information, then you are probably in the area where you can use the higher temperature ampacity.

NEC would not tell you what temperature termination the range manufacturer must use. That, if specified anywhere, would be part of the UL standard that applies.

kwired

Electron manager
I am going to say the supply terminations may be rated for a higher temp, but you have to remember the other end of the supply conductors is likely connected to something rated 60 or 75 deg C.

Status
Not open for further replies.