Wire Marking in code? (factory marked vs fielf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1lwnsrb

Looking for something for ungrounded phase color

Looking for something for ungrounded phase color

Inspector says it is written no color under 8 AWG can be taped I can not find it

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
200,6 as noted and 250.119 are two reference that MAY be relevant..
when you say "from factory" is that part of a pre-wired piece of equipment ? (If so it's a totally different ballgame)

and.. Welcome to the Forum

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the inspector is saying smaller ungrounded conductors can not be re-identified he is wrong.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
identification of ungrounded conductors has little or no NEC restrictions, grounded conductors and equipment grounding conductors are more restrictive. Both must use the colors mentioned as identification, both can be field marked for sizes larger than 6AWG - don't know where your inspector came up with 8 AWG.

The requirements for the grounded conductors are in 200.6.

The requirements for equipment grounding conductors are in 250.119.

There are exceptions for re-identifying conductors that are part of a cable assembly, but your individual conductors for pulling in raceways have no exceptions.

kwired

Electron manager
<#4 they just can't be made white or green.

nor can white or green conductors be re-identified at all in any size.

I think they probably could be, but you would have to re-identify the entire length not just at the terminations, or same for re-identifying a conductor with white, gray, or green. Of course with only a few exceptions, the equipment grounding conductor can always be stripped and left bare - but would have to be for the entire length if smaller than 4 AWG.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think they probably could be, but you would have to re-identify the entire length not just at the terminations, or same for re-identifying a conductor with white, gray, or green. Of course with only a few exceptions, the equipment grounding conductor can always be stripped and left bare - but would have to be for the entire length if smaller than 4 AWG.
How about 250.119(B)(1)? That only calls for stripping bare the entire exposed portion of the wire where it leaves the cable. For an individual conductor, I think your point is valid.

kwired

Electron manager
How about 250.119(B)(1)? That only calls for stripping bare the entire exposed portion of the wire where it leaves the cable. For an individual conductor, I think your point is valid.
None of what I said was intended to apply to conductors that are part of a cable.

Wattman

Does it specifically state somewhere in the code?

Does it specifically state somewhere in the code?

That an actual "White or Green" within a
Factory Cable (Such as SO,SJ, etc Cord or Buss Drop Cable)

Can NOT be Re-Colored in the field as a Phase Conductor :jawdrop:

Black - A Phase
White - B Phase :?
Red - C phase
Green - Equipment Ground

It would make sense to not allow it on single conductors, but a cable is different. As long as the cable has the correct voltage and amp ratings and meets the environment requirements, I think it is very common to see and do this?

Very common to see Multi Voltages Welders with factory cords pre-installed with flying leads, ready for the appropriate plug to be installed and the voltage selection jumper set, in the field by the electrician.

Is the a code reference that states Yes or NO?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
See 200.7(C) for the use of a white conductor in a multiwire cable assembly as an ungrounded conductor.
See 250.119, Exception for use of the greed conductor in a multiwire cable as anything other than an EGC. It is a very limited exception.

kwired

Electron manager
See 200.7(C) for the use of a white conductor in a multiwire cable assembly as an ungrounded conductor.
See 250.119, Exception for use of the greed conductor in a multiwire cable as anything other than an EGC. It is a very limited exception.

Very limited is right, I don't know what greed has to do with it though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.