FA DEVICE DISTANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

From that cut sheet you posted a link to:
General Information
System Sensor?s RTS151 is an automatic fire detector accessory designed to
test a remotely located detector. Consult detector installation instructions for
additional information.
The National Fire Protection Association has published codes, standards, and
recommended practices for the installation and use of the above product. It is
recommended that the installer be familiar with these requirements, with local
codes, and any special requirements of the local authority having jurisdiction.

My opinion is you should check with the local fire marshal.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the intent of these devices is to remotely test air duct smoke detectors. IMHO, they should be located somewhere near to the location of the actual device. For example, if the duct smoke detector is located in an air duct above a suspended ceiling the test device should be located on a wall in close proximity to that detector. That way whoever comes to service the smoke detection system will know approximately which ceiling tile to pop up and find that air duct smoke detector.

iwire

Staff member
They are for testing but in some cases they are also needed to force a reset of a duct smoke.

If I am installing them I would rather put them close to the detector, it usually takes four dedicated conductors between the RTS and the duct smoke so the closer the better.

On the other hand if I am testing I would rather they all be located at the fire panel. It makes testing and resetting a breeze. It is a real pain in the neck to locate 20 or 30 remote test switches all over the store and buried behind displays.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see your point and I guess there's no one correct answer. If you locate all the remotes at the FA panel, while it's convenient for testing, the installer ends up being the only person who knows exactly where the air duct SD units are for servicing. On the other hand, locating them in close proximity to the actual device may pose the problems you cited but at least you can send out another technician to do the testing and servicing work. Otherwise YOU are married to the job.;)

MisterCMK

I see your point and I guess there's no one correct answer. If you locate all the remotes at the FA panel, while it's convenient for testing, the installer ends up being the only person who knows exactly where the air duct SD units are for servicing. On the other hand, locating them in close proximity to the actual device may pose the problems you cited but at least you can send out another technician to do the testing and servicing work. Otherwise YOU are married to the job.;)

As-builts and proper documentation should tell you exactly where the duct smokes are.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As-builts and proper documentation should tell you exactly where the duct smokes are.
My boss always says there's no such thing as As-Builts. They're called Record Drawings, and they rarely depict everything exactly as it was built...

... and even if they did, some dingbat will have lost them by the time they're needed.

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My boss always says there's no such thing as As-Builts. They're called Record Drawings, and they rarely depict everything exactly as it was built...

... and even if they did, some dingbat will have lost them by the time they're needed.
Bingo !!!

mgookin

I'm not sure how much effort or cost you're willing to put into it, but the AHJ (both bldg & fire dept) might have a record set which you could order a copy of. Or you could view the record set and contact the design professional and ask for dwg or pdf files. Keep in mind you're depending on government to function properly which does not always happen, but it could be worth checking into.

iwire

Staff member
I'm not sure how much effort or cost you're willing to put into it, but the AHJ (both bldg & fire dept) might have a record set which you could order a copy of. Or you could view the record set and contact the design professional and ask for dwg or pdf files. Keep in mind you're depending on government to function properly which does not always happen, but it could be worth checking into.

Very little effort.

The customer only pays for time on site and they want it done as cheaply as possible. I can bang out a Lowe's store fire inspection in about 6 hours if all the test switches are in one location.

If they are spread around the store it may go into two trips or some get ignored.

MisterCMK

And my kids are not suposed to touch my tools. :D

It is very rare for me to have as builts when doing testing.

There is no reason that the duct smokes are not documented when doing an inspection. Our inspection forms list where the duct smokes are located. Sometimes it is written inside the panel. A UL Certificated system will have as-builts available on site as part of the certificate.

Then your boss does a piss poor job of documenting the installation.

The AHJ may or may not have a set. The customer should have a set somewhere.

iwire

Staff member
There is no reason that the duct smokes are not documented when doing an inspection. Our inspection forms list where the duct smokes are located. Sometimes it is written inside the panel. A UL Certificated system will have as-builts available on site as part of the certificate.

Then your boss does a piss poor job of documenting the installation.

The AHJ may or may not have a set. The customer should have a set somewhere.

It seems some of us live in the real world and some do not.

The location of duct detectors is not the issue the issue is the location of the remote test switches and documented or not when covered by ever changing store displays they can be hard to find.

The last Lowe's I did had 56 remote test switches.

mstrlucky74

Thanks Iwire.....and my original question was asking about the USUAL distance a remote test switch is installed from the device it's serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.