motor VFD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

I have not talked to Siemens about this issue but the pump manufacturer claims they have and that the motor will be fine.
If it is in any way possible for you to have any responsibility thrown your way, you ought to get that in writing.

I can tell you, I'd want no part of it.

kwired

Electron manager
I have not talked to Siemens about this issue but the pump manufacturer claims they have and that the motor will be fine.
What does motor manufacturer have to say about it?

Pump will have a demand based on media being pumped and speed, the motor is what will be effected by voltage and frequency. Frequency will set the target speed regardless of voltage.

I don't believe boost settings are intended to be for continuous operation they are just for short term acceleration situations.

If you want to claim that a later motor failure is not your problem, that may be fine, but your customer should still be warned what the consequences are. You may not know when it will fail, but you likely are shortening the life of this motor, and if that is acceptable then they should need to know the replacement likely needs to be something different if they want better life out of it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Evidently, according to the pump manufacturer, it will be fime - assuming the Siemens they claimed to have talked to is the motor manufacturer.

I plan to make a call to Siemens about it.

We had nothing to do with the supply of the motors.

We are not going to suggest they run it this way.

If Siemens says it is OK I probably will not say anything other than it is not a code violation, since it is really not in my scope of things to worry about.

If Siemens has a strong objection, I will probably mention it to our customer.

Buccaneer

When getting a Blessing from Siemens, Eaton, Marathon, or anyone for that matter, I can highly recommend that it is in writing . Experience can come with a high price tag and if something fails; with out written documentation, all the people that said o.k. will turn into "Crawfish".

Besoeker

I plan to make a call to Siemens about it.

We had nothing to do with the supply of the motors.

We are not going to suggest they run it this way.

If Siemens says it is OK I probably will not say anything other than it is not a code violation, since it is really not in my scope of things to worry about.

If Siemens has a strong objection, I will probably mention it to our customer.

I'd be interested to hear what Siemens have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.