push in connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecold

what mechanical function is used in the push in connectors. Made by wago

Is it similar to backstabbing of receptacles? I was under the understanding that the spring would fail with backstabbing?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is a similar principle, but there is much more surface area on the spring and point of contact for the Wago type connectors as compared to a push in wiring device.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is also not part of a device that can raise the temperature of the spring because of something else poorly connected to it, FWIW.

Tapatalk...

elecold

It is also not part of a device that can raise the temperature of the spring because of something else poorly connected to it, FWIW.

Tapatalk...

I thought it was the failure of the spring that added to the heat in a backstabbed devices. Why wouldn't a push in connector have the same potential issues...just asking.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought it was the failure of the spring that added to the heat in a backstabbed devices. Why wouldn't a push in connector have the same potential issues...just asking.
Take one of each apart and you will understand..there is about 10 times more metal in the Wago type connector as compared to the push in wiring device connector.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I wish I could find the picture that someone posted of a dissected Wago or Ideal Push-in.
It may not have even been on this forum. But it was as Don said, more surface area and also the clamp/spring looked to be some type of gripper also.

To add to why these are different than back stabbed devices, the back stabbed devices are subject to repeated pushing-pulling-flipping on/off. This can loosen the clamp after a while, especially if they weren't inserted fully to begin with.

The Wago type connectors are used in place of wire nuts. They don't go directly on a device and thus are not subject to the same potential movement of a receptacle or switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.