Which GFCI commentary will you use NEC handbook/NFPA Analysis of Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

I do not see a clear inconsistency between the the two commentaries. Receptacles for dishwashers, disposals, etc. are not required to have GFCI simply because of what the receptacles are supplying. But if the receptacles are under, and within the specified radius of a sink, they are required to be GFCI for that reason.
I would be interested in the CMP discussion to see what they thought they were requiring. :) In particular, whether receptacles enclosed in a cabinet under a sink are intended to be covered along with more generally accessible (i.e. countertop or undercounter) receptacles.

At least golddigger to a shot at answering the question -- which will you pick -- Yes, I know commentary is not code but it is helpful in interpretation.

I agree that the disposal,& frig are not part of the countertop GFI requirement. I do think that the reason "kitchens" were eliminated from the sinks requirement was to include recepts that are within 6' which can include disposals, frig, microwaves and dishwahers in residential that are fed by a receptacle(is that legal per manufacture install?).
Does this have any relation to vertical hieght? Is the 6' a spherer? Should we use a 6' cord for measurement?
The inconsistancy comes from the actual NEC commentary specific to disposals & frig not needing to be GFI protected in the countertop section. IMO it was unnecassary to comment on and confuses the code section.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I prefer Mike Holts 2014 Guide to the NEC Changes. The IAEI analyis is full of a lot of full page pictures and changed that are not important. IAEI material has gone downhill since Michael Johnson left and went to NECA.

Status
Not open for further replies.