Residential Electrical Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a residential electrical meter cannot be placed directly below a window. What is the distance an electrical meter needs to be away from a window? The meter will be below the window about one to two feet and about one foot to the left. I was told the meter has to be 3 feet away from the window but I do not know if this is true or not.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I know a residential electrical meter cannot be placed directly below a window. What is the distance an electrical meter needs to be away from a window? The meter will be below the window about one to two feet and about one foot to the left. I was told the meter has to be 3 feet away from the window but I do not know if this is true or not.
TTBOMK, there is no distance requirement for the meter or any other service equipment location with respect to a window... at least not in the NEC. Your POCO may have stipulations.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The person who told you this may also have been thinking of the rules for gas meters. Those usually have an associated pressure regulator with a vent, so introducing gas into the building becomes a concern.

baddriver

Your source may have gotten the 3 foot spacing requirement from 230.9 Service Clearances on Buildings. This requires 3 foot spacing between operable windows and exposed service entrance conductors. I agree there are no restrictions on placing a meter within 3 feet of a window.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Your source may have gotten the 3 foot spacing requirement from 230.9 Service Clearances on Buildings. This requires 3 foot spacing between operable windows and exposed service entrance conductors. ...
And that's for open conductors or insulated conductors without an overall jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.