Question on job assessment exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the question:

You have a panelboard 28 inches in length it has 7 pre-drilled holes each hole measures 1 1/4" in diameter. If the space between the holes is equal and the space between the first and last hole to the edge of the panel board are equal as well. How far apart are the holes

a. 1 3/16"
b. 1 1/2"
c. 1 5/8"
d. 1 3/4"

please explain why/how you get your answer it's driving me crazy :?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Here's the question:

You have a panelboard 28 inches in length it has 7 pre-drilled holes each hole measures 1 1/4" in diameter. If the space between the holes is equal and the space between the first and last hole to the edge of the panel board are equal as well. How far apart are the holes

a. 1 3/16"
b. 1 1/2"
c. 1 5/8"
d. 1 3/4"

please explain why/how you get your answer it's driving me crazy :?

Take something that is 28" long and draw the holes using a ruler ,then measure the spaces ,to check your math.:)

Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

Btw thanks for the response. But am I missing something or is this a case of a typo on a computer based exam. Unless I'm deficient in the brain department I get 2.40 and change which was not an option as you can see. Just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy.

Stevareno

I think I got it figured out...

You would have 7 holes and 8 equal spaces. (28-(7x1.25))/8

I am assuming this formula gives you center to center spacing.
That gives an answer of 2.40625...

Exactly but that doesn't equal any of the choices I did the math a hundred times seems to be a fairly simply problem but none of the answers match the math.

But that is not exactly the "space between the holes". For that you subtract the width of the hole (1.25'') which gives you
1.15625, and that (according to my calculator), is pretty close to 1 3/16''.

Was 'a' the correct answer?

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think I got it figured out...

I am assuming this formula gives you center to center spacing.
That gives an answer of 2.40625...

But that is not exactly the "space between the holes". For that you subtract the width of the hole (1.25'') which gives you
1.15625, and that (according to my calculator), is pretty close to 1 3/16''.

Was 'a' the correct answer?
Unfortunately, the formula does not give you the center to center spacing of the holes. It gives you literally the distance of uncut metal between the holes. It is only if you get the correct answer and subtract 1.25 from it that you get 1.15625, which is not all that close to 1.1875 (1 3/16).
In looking closely at the problem, I also note that although it tells you that the spaces on each end are the same length, but not that they are the same as the spaces between holes.
Altogether an unsatisfactory statement of the problem.

Stevareno

Yeah, something is wonky.
The problem states that the distance between the holes is the same, and the distance on each end is the same, but it does not say that the distances at each end equals the distance between holes.
You can drill the holes in such a way as to get multiple answers.

To keep things symmetrical, you would do the following...

Divide space to get 7 equal sections: 28" / 7 = 4".
Drill your holes in the center of each section.
Since each section is 4" and the hole takes up 1.25", that leaves 2.75". That would be the distance between holes -- half that (1.375") would be the distance from the edge to the hole on each end.
To check, just add up all the distances.
(Space at each end: 1.375" * 2) + (Space between holes: 2.75" * 6) + (Space the holes take up: 1.25" * 7) =
(2.75") + (16.5") + (8.75") = 28".

In order to get to an answer that is in the question, at the very least it needs to state how much space there is from the edge of the panel to the edge of the nearest hole.
As it stands, any one of the answers given could be correct.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yeah, something is wonky.
[...]
In order to get to an answer that is in the question, at the very least it needs to state how much space there is from the edge of the panel to the edge of the nearest hole.
As it stands, any one of the answers given could be correct.
I agree; it's a stupid question, and everyone knows what happens when you ask a stupid question. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.