A Neutral is Numbing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewG185

I need everyone to throw out some ideas because I am stuck on this one. I will try to be as accurate and brief with describing my problem. I am remodeling a kitchen and the existing switch for the kitchen light was powered by a 15amp receptacle in the living room. The outlet is part of a series in the living room, and a wire was simply pig-tailed into the duplex, nothing tricky. I took the duplex out to disconnect the wire, as I ran a new circuit to handle a new series of recessed lights, and noticed that it was damaged so I replaced it with a new 15amp TR duplex. The problem is.....when I connect the neutral to to the duplex from the receptacle upstream, it trips the breaker. With the wires not connected at all, the breaker stays on, if I wire nut the hots and neutrals to each other(respectively) the breaker stays on. When i touch the hot and neutral to a plug, it powers it up no problem. The only thing that trips the breaker is when I touch energized line's neutral to the duplex. I just don't get it. The ground being connected makes no difference, and I am 100% that there is no contacting happening behind the wall outside the box. Ideas?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A Neutral is Numbing my mind.

Please remove said wire from your mind... :p

I need everyone to throw out some ideas because I am stuck on this one. I will try to be as accurate and brief with describing my problem. I am remodeling a kitchen and the existing switch for the kitchen light was powered by a 15amp receptacle in the living room. The outlet is part of a series in the living room, and a wire was simply pig-tailed into the duplex, nothing tricky. I took the duplex out to disconnect the wire, as I ran a new circuit to handle a new series of recessed lights, and noticed that it was damaged so I replaced it with a new 15amp TR duplex. The problem is.....when I connect the neutral to to the duplex from the receptacle upstream, it trips the breaker. With the wires not connected at all, the breaker stays on, if I wire nut the hots and neutrals to each other(respectively) the breaker stays on. When i touch the hot and neutral to a plug, it powers it up no problem. The only thing that trips the breaker is when I touch energized line's neutral to the duplex. I just don't get it. The ground being connected makes no difference, and I am 100% that there is no contacting happening behind the wall outside the box. Ideas?

Bad duplex... :happyyes:

...and if I missed it elsewhere...

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Tried 3 different duplex's, I am confident that equipment failure is not the issue.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your description...

How many sets of circuit conductors in the box, i.e. hot/neutral pairs?

When you connect all the hots and all the neutrals, breaker does not trip.

When you connect a neutral (by itself) to a duplex receptacle, the breaker trips?

Other than that, it sounds like somewhere at least one hot and one neutral got reversed... and you are connecting an energized "white" and a neutral "white" together.

FWIW, you shouldn't be doing any connecting while the breaker is on... :happyno:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are you sure that you are wiring to the correct terminal(s)?
Please measure voltages wire to wire and wires to ground.
My guess is that hot and neutral are reversed somewhere and that a fake ground has been made at some point in the circuit.
But I do not see how it would cause those symptoms without more.
1. Is the breaker a GFCI?
2. Is the receptacle two or three wire?
3. You say the ground is not connected, but is the yoke touching a grounded box?
4. Is the circuit an MWBC?
5. How was the old receptacle damaged? Neutral burned out???

Tapatalk...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are you sure that you are wiring to the correct terminal(s)?
Please measure voltages wire to wire and wires to ground.
My guess is that hot and neutral are reversed somewhere and that a fake ground has been made at some point in the circuit.
But I do not see how it would cause those symptoms without more.
1. Is the breaker a GFCI?
2. Is the receptacle two or three wire?
3. You say the ground is not connected, but is the yoke touching a grounded box?
4. Is the circuit an MWBC?
5. How was the old receptacle damaged? Neutral burned out???

Tapatalk...

In addition to these good points, I would ask you to check and see if the "tap" between the screws on the old receptacle had been removed or cut. Without a better description of the wires entering the box, I can't tell, but I wonder the old receptacle had one side switched. Often times, on older installs this was accomplished in strange ways such as switched neutrals.

AndrewG185

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your description...

How many sets of circuit conductors in the box, i.e. hot/neutral pairs?

When you connect all the hots and all the neutrals, breaker does not trip.

When you connect a neutral (by itself) to a duplex receptacle, the breaker trips?

Other than that, it sounds like somewhere at least one hot and one neutral got reversed... and you are connecting an energized "white" and a neutral "white" together.

FWIW, you shouldn't be doing any connecting while the breaker is on... :happyno:

There is a 14/2 wire coming from the upstream receptacle and a 14/2 wire going to the next receptacle in the sequence. When I connect the hot wire to the duplex, and then the neutral, it trips the breaker. The wires on the duplex upstream are properly landed on the terminal screws. Reversed wires was one of my initial suspicions. Also bear in mind that the duplex I replaced was properly wired and functioning.

There is a 14/2 wire coming from the upstream receptacle and a 14/2 wire going to the next receptacle in the sequence. When I connect the hot wire to the duplex, and then the neutral, it trips the breaker. The wires on the duplex upstream are properly landed on the terminal screws. Reversed wires was one of my initial suspicions. Also bear in mind that the duplex I replaced was properly wired and functioning.

If you can wire nut all hots together and all neutrals together, respectively, and breaker holds, than try pig-tailing off of those connections to a receptacle. If breaker still trips than you have a whole batch of bad receptacles.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No sense in speculating further. Use a meter and check the voltage of all wires to a known good ground (wire ends isolated).... and continuity to ground on any wire having no voltage to ground. Report your findings...

Also, are you certain the 14/2 to the next receptacle in the sequence actually goes to the next receptacle in the sequence... and is not a switch leg???

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you can wire nut all hots together and all neutrals together, respectively, and breaker holds, than try pig-tailing off of those connections to a receptacle. If breaker still trips than you have a whole batch of bad receptacles.
I'm inclined to agree. If the "downstream" cable is a switch leg, and the switch is closed, the breaker would trip when wired black to black and white to white.

A continuity check of the receptacles' hot to neutral would confirm.

AndrewG185

Also, are you certain the 14/2 to the next receptacle in the sequence actually goes to the next receptacle in the sequence... and is not a switch leg???

Winner, Winner...Chicken dinner. I asked my customer today if half of the outlet was served by a switch. I got the blank stare. Its a fairly large room....I did some poking around and located a switch BEHIND A FRAMED PAINTING...which was partially covered by a fake plant. I asked the customer what the switch controlled (blank stare). I flipped the switch off, wired the duplex back up, flipped the switch on and pop goes the breaker. SWITCH LEG. Wired the duplex properly, works like a champ, case closed. Thanks everyone, 3 gold stars for Smart $. Could I have eventually figured this out on my own?:slaphead: Sure, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to cruise these forums, everyone wins.

Winner, Winner...Chicken dinner. I asked my customer today if half of the outlet was served by a switch. I got the blank stare. Its a fairly large room....I did some poking around and located a switch BEHIND A FRAMED PAINTING...which was partially covered by a fake plant. I asked the customer what the switch controlled (blank stare). I flipped the switch off, wired the duplex back up, flipped the switch on and pop goes the breaker. SWITCH LEG. Wired the duplex properly, works like a champ, case closed. Thanks everyone, 3 gold stars for Smart $. Could I have eventually figured this out on my own?:slaphead: Sure, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to cruise these forums, everyone wins.

Can I have 1 gold star......see post #8:D

RLyons

I can't count how many times Homeowners have said, " I don't know what this switch does". Almost always turns out to be 1/2 a duplex switched.
I had to go back to a house I did a service call on because apparently I inadvertently flipped a switch that worked the table light. :lol:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
3/way not working, asked HO where the other switch was, he said there wasn't one. The wall where the other 3/way would logically be was faced with stacked rock (indoors).

Think the rock masons got in after the electrician.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
3/way not working, asked HO where the other switch was, he said there wasn't one. The wall where the other 3/way would logically be was faced with stacked rock (indoors).

Think the rock masons got in after the electrician.
How brain dead would a mason have to be to rock over a wall switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.