3W/4W switching combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I understand that one can wire 3 and 4 way switches so that the light is on for instance when the switches are "up". And also the light being off when the switches are "down". With that being said, wouldn't there be a point when one of the switches(lets say there are three total 2-3ways and 1-4way) would be up and the light was off? If this sounds stupid, just tell me.:?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I understand that one can wire 3 and 4 way switches so that the light is on for instance when the switches are "up". And also the light being off when the switches are "down". With that being said, wouldn't there be a point when one of the switches(lets say there are three total 2-3ways and 1-4way) would be up and the light was off? If this sounds stupid, just tell me.:?

Man that's stupid :blink::lol::p

Just kidding friend :)

The rule I go by is all down all off,so when you test them all you should be able to set them up so that when all the switches are down they're all off,so just pull them out and flip them till you get it right,however you cannot control how people will use them so they will get mixed up over time. Don't sweat it..:thumbsup:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Eventually they would.
All things must pass........

gar

Occupation
EE
131204-2411 EDT

Daisy chain all those switches you want and initially wire so that OFF is when all switches are DOWN. Turn #1 ON, go to #X and change its position to UP. Now the circuit is OFF with #1 UP and #X UP, and all others are down. From here on you have a mixed up mess.

Instead install a GE RR series system. Mount the switches for OFF when down and ON when up. All of the switches will always retain this phasing independent of the order of use unless you mechanically invert the switch(es).

Status
Not open for further replies.