Generator breaker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

I am looking to install a generator for a customer. We will be feeding (1) 200 amp panel. The breaker on the generator is a 225 amp breaker. My question is can I run 3/0 between the generator and the transfer switch or will I need to match the generator breaker with a 200 amp breaker? Thanks in advance.

mccayry

Here is some more info I just received. The home has a 400 amp service with (2) 200 amp disconnects feeding (2) interior 200 amp subpanels. One of the outdoor disconnects is running through a 200 amp rated ATS to one of the interior 200 amp subpanels. The owner has purchased a 65kw generator with a single phase 120/240 output of 271 amps. The generator is equipped with a 225 amp breaker. Knowing that there is already a 200 amp rated ATS Im assuming the best option would be to change the generator breaker to a 200 amp breaker?

Daja7

Here is some more info I just received. The home has a 400 amp service with (2) 200 amp disconnects feeding (2) interior 200 amp subpanels. One of the outdoor disconnects is running through a 200 amp rated ATS to one of the interior 200 amp subpanels. The owner has purchased a 65kw generator with a single phase 120/240 output of 271 amps. The generator is equipped with a 225 amp breaker. Knowing that there is already a 200 amp rated ATS Im assuming the best option would be to change the generator breaker to a 200 amp breaker?

I would not change breaker. Even though you would be going smaller it may affect warranty and ul listing. If you are feedeing a transfer switch with a 200 amp breaker in it you can run conductors rated for 200 amp. the gen breaker at this point is just a disconnect. and the transfer sw will cover overload. the transf switch breaker will not allow any more than that. Personally i would run the conductor rated for 225.

mccayry

I would not change breaker. Even though you would be going smaller it may affect warranty and ul listing. If you are feedeing a transfer switch with a 200 amp breaker in it you can run conductors rated for 200 amp. the gen breaker at this point is just a disconnect. and the transfer sw will cover overload. the transf switch breaker will not allow any more than that. Personally i would run the conductor rated for 225.

Thanks for the response. My concern is that the transfer switch does not have a main breaker or disconnecting means. I was thinking that I would take a 200 amp main breaker and install it at the generator between the generator breaker and the automatic transfer switch. My reasoning behind that is that the transfer switch is only rated for 200 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.