Ballast Types for Residential Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer_Simpson

New User
I know that the rapid start ballast exists for residential use and that you can get instant start ballasts in both magnetic and electronic versions; but why not Programmed Start.( I already know that programmed start ballasts are rated for commercial only) We all know that the instant start ballast is not recommended for frequent switching applications such as motion sensors and such because it can limit the bulb life.

It seems kind of stupid that the only non magnetic option is an instant start ballast that isn't rated for frequent switching applications( like a bathroom or kitchen).

By the way I am strictly speaking of ballasts for 4' t8 linear bulbs.

gar

Occupation
EE
131206-0817 EST

It is possibly time to think about 4' LED tubes with built in ballast and an input nominal range of 120 to 277 V at about $35 per tube. These are not dimmable because internally they are essentially constant current with no way presently to sense voltage or phase angle. Voltage sense as a dimming means is likely not feasible with a wide range of input nominal voltages.

Reliability of these new devices is not really known, but the price is coming down so fast that shortly a fluorescent is not likely to be a primary choice.

fmtjfw

FCC

FCC

Typically programmed ballasts are rated for FCC "A" -- commercial only because it is easier to build. FCC "B" is for residential (or commercial) and has stricter EMI (Electromagnetic interference) requirements.

I did a short Google search and didn't find any class "A" programmed start ballasts. It's a good question to pose to ballast manufacturers (or their salesman).

iwire

Staff member
Typically programmed ballasts are rated for FCC "A" -- commercial only because it is easier to build. FCC "B" is for residential (or commercial) and has stricter EMI (Electromagnetic interference) requirements.

I did a short Google search and didn't find any class "A" programmed start ballasts. It's a good question to pose to ballast manufacturers (or their salesman).

That may explain why the ballasts in my garage interfere with my radio.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
It seems kind of stupid the only non magnetic (T8) option is an instant start ballast that isn't rated for frequent switching applications( like a bathroom or kitchen).

From a retailers perspective, stocking exclusively instant start products for frequent-switching applications may generate more product turnover.

Field repairs are also minimized, since instant-start lamp holder (sockets) are uniquely shunted, and fluorescent-replacement sockets sold in most stores are not, which forces product replacement for the uninitiated.

Vehicle manufactures have made great progress in engineering parts that can't be maintained without dealer services & special tools. Eliminating after market products and services captures more revenue for OEM's.

kwired

Electron manager
since instant-start lamp holder (sockets) are uniquely shunted, and fluorescent-replacement sockets sold in most stores are not, which forces product replacement for the uninitiated.
Like it is real hard to make a "standard" socket into one that is "shunted"

Vehicle manufactures have made great progress in engineering parts that can't be maintained without dealer services & special tools. Eliminating after market products and services captures more revenue for OEM's.
There are many aftermarket third party specialty tools and parts out there, as for the newest vehicles and new tools or parts - they are usually covered by warranty and the dealers are the ones servicing them at that time if necessary.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
- they are usually covered by warranty and the dealers are the ones servicing them at that time if necessary.
Engineers are hired to design products to break the day after the warranty expires, not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.