Exceptions for strapping FMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan8943

I am stubbing up out of a concrete floor with PVC and going to a box that will be used as a junction box and a receptacle box. There is a small piece of FMC between the box and conduit. This piece is usually 6-8 inches. Are there any exceptions to where I don't have to strap this? thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am stubbing up out of a concrete floor with PVC and going to a box that will be used as a junction box and a receptacle box. There is a small piece of FMC between the box and conduit. This piece is usually 6-8 inches. Are there any exceptions to where I don't have to strap this? thanks
Where flexibility is necessary after installation is required [348.30(A) Exception No. 2]

I am assuming none of the other Exceptions apply given your description.

Beyond that, if the total raceway distance between slab and box or secureing of the PVC is less than 12 inches, the AHJ may consider both the FMC and PVC as compliant with the securing requirement because the PVC to FMC transition is technically not a raceway termination.

plumb bob

Most of the inspectors in my area would not flag something like this if they saw it once or during an inspection. Multiple spots might get a closer look, however. I'm sure caddy makes some sort of product that could at least meet the intent of the code even if it really isn't doing much to "support/secure" the flex. Heck, you can probably cobble something with the parts you have on hand.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO it technically requires a strap but I don't see how anyone would require it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It's best to ask the AHJ first.

We were doing a store where securing FMC according to code would have been problematic to say the least. We brought in the AHJ after doing the first drop for him to inspect before we did fifteen or twenty more. He saw what we were up against and gave us an informal plan approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.