UFER PLUS GROUND ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have a slightly different answer: The NEC does not require a supplemental grounding electrode.
ALL of the Power Companies I work with require a ground rod at their meters.

dereckbc

Staff member
I have a slightly different answer: The NEC does not require a supplemental grounding electrode.
Ditto same here. You could have a full ground ring, Ufer, and radials. POCO could careless because if you do not have a rod below their meter, you do not get connected. Motto here is drive two rods, call it a day, and collect a check.

mwm1752

UFUR is a stand alone electrode and should pass any NEC inspection -- still have to attach all availiable elctrodes to the system -- A POCO standard is above & beyond but would have to be installed for their standard --

kwired

Electron manager

Are they particular that it be a rod, or can you land the GEC from the CEE at the meter and make them happy? I have done this before - even with POCO's that want to see a "ground rod" connection at the meter. There main concern is usually to have whatever lightning protection the electrode will provide for their metering equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a power company dig up to look for a rod. They see the CONCRETE ENCASED ELECTRODE wire and have no idea where it is connected to but they also don't specifically ask for rods.

kwired

Electron manager
I have never seen a power company dig up to look for a rod. They see the CONCRETE ENCASED ELECTRODE wire and have no idea where it is connected to but they also don't specifically ask for rods.

Same here. You could run a wire into the earth and just end it shortly below the surface and most POCO employees would never bother to investigate any further.

TobyD

Same goes for the areas we normally work.I usually install the the grounding rod near or say within a foot or two of the UFER /rebar and bond together.Is there any violation to this type install?For instance if there is no rebar/UFER present then the grounding rods are spaced 6' or greater apart form each other.Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Same goes for the areas we normally work.I usually install the the grounding rod near or say within a foot or two of the UFER /rebar and bond together.Is there any violation to this type install?For instance if there is no rebar/UFER present then the grounding rods are spaced 6' or greater apart form each other.Thanks

If you already have a CEE then you do not need a ground rod. The CEE and ground rod if installed can be less than 6' apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.