Equivalent to NEC for Marine Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attended a Code Changes class with Mike today and he suggested I post this question on the NEC forum... I have recently found myself consulting for large vessel installations. Is there an equivalent to the NEC for marine vessels?

cadpoint

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm chatting big stuff here.

Depends, if it is a registered flag ship of the USA the USCG has the final say.
USCG Small boats stateside the USCG!

USA naval vessels is NAVSEA

The country of registration has the final say, unless these owners will sometimes default to the American Bureau of Shipping, www.EAGLE.ORG.

Now the ABS is a listing service in that they detail what a structure in the water is, things need to be met to meet their individual requirements, which will aid the owners in getting insurance and the maltese cross showing a ships ocean worthy service.

Now here's the trickie part not all requirements of both are the same in any or all respects, can I say life safety is one of these aspects!
It's been a while but you will find out (I doult if it's changed) if you submit, you'll submit to both the ABS and the USCG, again if it is required.

Both can easily require Curves of Form, revised C of F (how the boat will act in the water) or additional calc's when additional equipement is subtracted/added or altered-changed.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is also the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC): http://www.abycinc.org/

With regard to ?life safety? considerations, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) publishes the ?International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS).? I know that there are electrical requirements in that document, but it has been over five years since I worked in the world of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. So I can?t offer any more information on that topic. You can start here:
http://www.imo.org/About/Convention...-the-Safety-of-Life-at-Sea-(SOLAS),-1974.aspx

fmtjfw

90.2 Scope.
(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:
(1) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings,
railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles
other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles

Informational Note: Although the scope of this Code indicates
that the Code does not cover installations in ships,
portions of this Code are incorporated by reference into
Title 46, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 110?113

NEC2014

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
90.2 Scope.
(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:
(1) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings,
railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles
other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles

Informational Note: Although the scope of this Code indicates
that the Code does not cover installations in ships,
portions of this Code are incorporated by reference into
Title 46, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 110?113

NEC2014
As long as the portion incorporated does not include 90.2. Otherwise the paradox created would stop all ship construction and operation, and maybe end the universe as we know it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.