Soup restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisinjersey

I've got a design question. More of a means and methods type of thing and I was hoping maybe someone has already done this type of install and would be able to provide some type of clarity.
We were recently given a Soup restaurant project. By given I mean, we aren't being competed for the project. That said, the design of the electricals falls on us. That's not a concern, but the owner threw me a pretty good curve. He's planning to put small electric soup crocks at each table. I'm picturing something similar to a Melting Pot type of atmosphere. The question becomes how am I going to get a code compliant receptacle at a free standing booth. Picture an old bowling alley booth. We've rolled this around the office all week and all sorts of safety issues have come up, not the least of which is some lady with a stroller hooking a cord and the resulting catastrophe. But my design need to address the NEC compliance and the owner can deal with the building inspector on the feasibility. The booths that abut the walls are no big deal, but the free standers are driving me a bit crazy. Any advice or prior experience with this would be a big help.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
In art studios we always put those retractable ceiling cord sets. Or power poles at the likely table locations. Free standing cauldrons w non qualified people sounds difficult no
Matter what.
How about to recess the cauldrons in the table. Maybe a rod sticking up in the sky to pick up the ceiling cord set

In belief, man can do anything

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Cords go up on a rail kind of like a streetcar or one of those bumper cars at the state fair or a laundry basket at a commercial laundry

Kettle should be recessed into the table kind of like a hot table at a cafeteria so nothing can pull down there's knows unstable parts where the user can put his And on it

In belief, man can do anything

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm all for recessed pots and hidden cords (receptacles under table) There's a reason that appliances have short cords on them and that the code changed back to only one receptacle required on a peninsula. Some little kid pull that pot onto his lap and the lawyers would have a field day.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
How are the crocks @ the tables going to be replenished? Sounds like a bad idea to me with vats of hot liquids being carted around in a potentially crowded environment. Not to mention the electrical issues.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
this whole idea sounds like something that will get someone sued eventually.

I think the idea of having the cords overhead has some merit but maybe a better option is some kind of floor box under where the table is so the cord is as short as possible.

I am not convinced the fire marshal would approve the overhead extension cord idea. I am thinking this is no different than them forcing Walmart to install more permanent outlets for plugging in electrical equipment on shelves.

krisinjersey

I put this out in an RFI for more guidance from the owner and architect and the response from the architect was "I was concerned about that too". No feedback from the owner. I have found a power pole that would be suitable for the installation and code compliant, but the safety concern is the main issue. I can get power there, but knowing the intended use, do I find a reason to not get it done? The entire premise of this restaurant is those darn soup crocks. This is leading back to common sense killing most people.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I put this out in an RFI for more guidance from the owner and architect and the response from the architect was "I was concerned about that too". No feedback from the owner. I have found a power pole that would be suitable for the installation and code compliant, but the safety concern is the main issue. I can get power there, but knowing the intended use, do I find a reason to not get it done? The entire premise of this restaurant is those darn soup crocks. This is leading back to common sense killing most people.
We have a new Korean restaurant in town that you cook right at your table, so every table has a hot plate right in the middle. I have the same concerns of some kid standing up in his seat and putting his hand right in the middle of that thing.

aside from the huge sign with please sue me in big red letters 6 feet tall hung in the restaurant window, as long as the electrical is compliant with the nec and ahj requirements, you as the electrical installer are not liable for the inevitable pot of hot soup that's going to burn someone. the bad design and stupidity of the idea is entirely in the lap of the property owner that wanted the thing built and the moron in the permit office that dared to approve the blueprints in the first place.
in japan restaurants with really bad ideas are common

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.