Purchasing European Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I need to buy a copy of EN-61010. Can someone please recommend some reputable websites to purchase these standards from? I tried ANSI.COM but they only have the PDF version.

I see websites like "techstreet.com" but I have never heard of this website until now and not sure if I can trust the site.

Besoeker

I need to buy a copy of EN-61010. Can someone please recommend some reputable websites to purchase these standards from? I tried ANSI.COM but they only have the PDF version.

I see websites like "techstreet.com" but I have never heard of this website until now and not sure if I can trust the site.
Hi 50-60
I can ask my QA guy tomorrow if he's in the office.
Lot's of people are using up their remaining holidays at the moment, so maybe I won't see him.
And tomorrow is my last day there this year - I work from home quite a bit these days when I can. It avoids a 50 mile round trip.
Today, I had to go to Kent for a technical meeting with a major customer. About 200 miles and business that could have been concluded in a half hour conference call.
We have the technology!!
Rant over.

OK. I sent him this email:

"Hi Mr K.

Where can we buy a copy of EN-61010?
Where do you usually get them?"

I'll let you know what comes back.

fifty60

Thanks Besoeker. I just spoke to a representative from Wago regarding their 222 series connectors. One of his responses was:

"This is a tough time of year to get information on applications outside the continental US as Europe gets really serious about ?closing for the holidays?."

Thought that was funny. We are lucky to even get Sundays off here in the states, holiday or not!

Besoeker

Thanks Besoeker. I just spoke to a representative from Wago regarding their 222 series connectors. One of his responses was:

"This is a tough time of year to get information on applications outside the continental US as Europe gets really serious about ?closing for the holidays?."

Thought that was funny. We are lucky to even get Sundays off here in the states, holiday or not!
My Mr K gets them from BSi. The British Standards Institute.

PetrosA

Ok, Cliff Notes on my rant.

One of the things I always liked most about visiting my grandparents during Christmas in Germany back in the day was that you could really feel it was a holiday. Everything shut down. Stores, supermarkets, gas stations (with a few exceptions), everything. It was like that in Poland when I moved there, too. After a few seasons there as an adult, I started to appreciate the effect it had on my psyche to switch gears for a week or so and spend some time with family, friends and reflecting on life a little. It was frustrating at times, but the benefits outweighed the costs.

I miss that.

I also do what I can to carry that lifestyle on here. It hasn't gone well this year as I've been both more stressed than ever and had less opportunity for vacation than ever, but next week, I shut down for the whole week. Happy Holidays! :)

fifty60

You have to give it to us Americans for having a healthy amount of "grit".

I like the story about Tom Brady (American Football Player.) One of his teammates arrived 2 hours early to the training facility hoping to beat Brady to the gym. When he walked in, Tom Brady was already walking around with sweat rings around his neck.

I think Tom Brady personifies the work/success ethos of the USA. However, I have heard that you do need 2 consecutive weeks away from work to maintain your true sense of "self".

PetrosA

I suspect we've based our work ethic in large part on that of type A personalities, workaholics and overachievers with a measure of carrot-and-stick ideology thrown in for good measure. I can't speak to how people in the corporate world work, but I can say that in the construction industry, working hard is more important than taking care of yourself physically or emotionally. I've seen guys pumped up on pain killers to get through the day, working with electrodes connected and running to control back pain, etc. I myself have worked with pain so bad I was taking percoset at work (which I'm sure wasn't safe to do by any account). Not only is it unsafe, it can potentially shorten your overall career if you don't heal properly. Taking care of ourselves emotionally isn't part of the culture, so to do it we'd have to put it on a to-do list in the first place. Most times though, emotional problems don't get any attention until it gets so bad that - and here's the shocker - they prevent us from being able to work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.