UPS in lab area

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Can we place an UPS with built in batteries in lab area? i understand the battery is hazard element but how about the built in batteries. The issue raised when the client refered to an supplier & the supplier confirnmed the need of UPS for lab equipments & said the lab equipments will be damaged during power failure in absence of the UPS, in line with that we don't have any free space to place that UPS.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can we place an UPS with built in batteries in lab area? i understand the battery is hazard element but how about the built in batteries. The issue raised when the client refered to an supplier & the supplier confirnmed the need of UPS for lab equipments & said the lab equipments will be damaged during power failure in absence of the UPS, in line with that we don't have any free space to place that UPS.
Hard to say for certain not knowing what other hazards there are. IMO, in general, you can. Most of those are sealed batteries, but even those batteries will outgas if you recharge them too rapidly. So the hazard may be reduced compared to not-sealed batteries, but not mitigated. The rest depends on what type of work is being performed in the lab, its ventilation, and the potential for ignition or chemical reaction... a lot of variables just saying "lab" generically.

Besoeker

Most of the UPS systems I've dealt with us VRLA batteries. Valve regulated lead acid but more commonly called sealed lead acid.

This an excerpt from the spec of the ones we use:

These batteries are classified as non-spillable because they have been shown to meet the requirements of Packing Instruction 806.

Special Provision A67, contained in IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations and the ICAO publication, Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Goods by Air and states that:

"Non-spillable batteries are not subject to these Instructions if, at temperature of 55? C, the electrolyte will not flow from a ruptured or cracked case and there is no free liquid to flow and if, when packaged for transport, the terminals are protected from short circuit."

These batteries were classified as meeting the A67 requirement after testing by PIRA, who stated that the batteries may be regarded as non-dangerous. Several other independent internationally recognised laboratories are also in agreement that these battery types are non-dangerous.

In meeting the requirements of packaging instruction 806 and Special Provision A67 the subject batteries may be regarded as non-dangerous

Your questions and the whole description is rather vague to answer. For example if either a sterile and bio-hazard laboratory is the subject, no UPS could be placed in those areas. Even with VRLA batteries a minimal amount of hydrogen generation is expectable.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Your questions and the whole description is rather vague to answer. For example if either a sterile and bio-hazard laboratory is the subject, no UPS could be placed in those areas. Even with VRLA batteries a minimal amount of hydrogen generation is expectable.
Thanks Weressl,
Our lab is just a general lab includes (hematology and chemistry, centrifuge....), from all opinions i would think no issue to place an UPS in a general lab.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
my thinking is that the UPS can be placed pretty much anywhere and wires run into the lab so there is no reason to take up valuable lab space with a UPS.

I also think the hazards of H2 outgassing from batteries in most cases has been grossly overstated. It can happen but in general it has never been a real problem except in a very few cases.

my thinking is that the UPS can be placed pretty much anywhere and wires run into the lab so there is no reason to take up valuable lab space with a UPS.

I also think the hazards of H2 outgassing from batteries in most cases has been grossly overstated. It can happen but in general it has never been a real problem except in a very few cases.

I agree and my comments were only aimed at chemical interference in a 'clean room' or biomed research facilities where miniscule interference can bias the results.

dereckbc

Staff member
Just about every self contained Light and medium duty UPS use AGM batteries (aka VRLA). Some lower quality units use Gel VRLA batteries. So as Wressel points out unless it is a sterile environment should dot be any issues with codes if installed in the lab.

Now with that said as I have installed many medium and large scale UPS the questions are:

• Can it fit?
  • Have a generator?
  • Static Bypass?
  • How large a UPS?
  • How much battery backup time?
  • What type UPS? Interactive or Dual Conversion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.