100 Ampere Emergency Switch Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeback

This is an Emergency Switch Box rated at 100 amperes. I am looking for information and any equipment specifications or NRTL references. Does anybody have any experience installing them for the so called "Service Disconnecting Means" required by the NEC? How did you get into the contents? Looks like a skate key was needed! What edition of the NEC would cover this equipment? Thanks in advance for any comments. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SAM_0163.jpg
    SAM_0163.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Which makes me wonder whether the OP's box contains an actual (load breaking?) disconnect or just a trigger switch as in the modern ones.
Knox boxes are more commonly seen holding access keys for first responders.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Which makes me wonder whether the OP's box contains an actual (load breaking?) disconnect or just a trigger switch as in the modern ones. ...
If those are the standard brick sizes, it is about 24" tall and 16" wide ... I'd guess a load breaking disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
Yes in Boston near the Haymarket. :thumbsup:

It is my understanding these were required by local fire department for some time. The fire department and utility workers had the keys.

I have eliminated them and they were porcelain mounted knife switches inside. When opened exposed live parts where easily accessible.

I have re-used these boxes in Brookline per the fire department in the 1980s to hold shunt trip buttons for service replacement jobs.

They are not directly required by the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.