Residential Generator Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you asking if the chimney hatch opening would be required to be outside of the recommended clearance zone for the generator?

mgookin

Quick question.. Would an access hatch on a chimney need to be considered as an "opening" when locating a residential chimney?

I think you're asking "Would an access hatch on a chimney need to be considered as an opening when locating a residential generator?"

Are you talking about mechanical code requirements for building openings within 10' of a source of bad air? As in sewer vents, exhaust, etc.?

And can you elaborate on "access hatch on a chimney?" Is that referring to an ash dump? Or is it a door for loading firewood from outside, or something else?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am referring to the ash dump. The "hatch" is going to be 5' away from the exhaust side of the generator.
FWIW, the ash dump, being below the fireplace floor level and not fully sealed at that point, would be a potential CO entry point. If you turn on an exhaust fan inside the house, you could end up sucking fumes in through that opening. Is that a realistic hazard? I do not know, but I think it would come within the code limitations.
If you seal the opening in the bottom of the fireplace the situation changes.

mgookin

FWIW, the ash dump, being below the fireplace floor level and not fully sealed at that point, would be a potential CO entry point. If you turn on an exhaust fan inside the house, you could end up sucking fumes in through that opening. Is that a realistic hazard? I do not know, but I think it would come within the code limitations.
If you seal the opening in the bottom of the fireplace the situation changes.

And if the generator has receptacles on it, I can see someone running an extension cord through the ash dump door, up through the firebox, and into the home. People do what they have to do under adverse conditions.

Daja7

Quick question.. Would an access hatch on a chimney need to be considered as an "opening" when locating a residential chimney?

In our area the chimney ash dump door is considered an opening to the building. Manuf instructions simply says opening.
On occasion when there is no other alternative we have sealed off the door. this passes inspection.
It must be sealed at least semi perminante. if you need to get the door open you can with a little work. Never an issue How many times do you need to open that door. almost never.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
In our area the chimney ash dump door is considered an opening to the building. Manuf instructions simply says opening.
On occasion when there is no other alternative we have sealed off the door. this passes inspection.
It must be sealed at least semi perminante. if you need to get the door open you can with a little work. Never an issue How many times do you need to open that door. almost never.

R1003.2.1 Ash dump cleanout.

Cleanout openings located within foundation walls below fireboxes, when provided, shall be equipped with ferrous metal or masonry doors and frames constructed to remain tightly closed except when in use. Cleanouts shall be accessible and located so that ash removal will not create a hazard to combustible materials.

Ash pit doors are designed with a fiberglass gasket that renders them airtight. and are at ground level.
The specific gravity of CO is less than air and when exhausted by a combustion engine will rise due to flue gas temperatures being higher than ambient temperature and the fact that it is lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.