Ladder Rack versus Cable Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Why is cable tray more labor to install.....speaking relative same sizes?

Attachments

• ladder rack.jpg
    ladder rack.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2
  • steel cable tray.jpg
    steel cable tray.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was thinking of those fastening sections of the tray together or attaching the supports for the tray itself. Even holding onto the tray itself while installing it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes the mesh type is what I was comparing?
Mesh type is a bit easier to work with. Not so much on full lengths, but easier for custom lengths and angles. For example, coupling those lengths don't require drilling holes to exactly match the splice plate holes. Angling up and down can be done just by a few snips of the "rail" wires and bending the bottom wires. Horizontal turns require a little more than up and down angles, but still easier than ladder type.

DougAles

Just a suggestion as to an explanation.

Whoever made that chart assumed the basket/wire mesh tray was only available in straight sections and the installer?s needed to field fabricate fittings, adding to the labor. The traditional ladder tray was using factory fabricated fittings.

Today, some basket/wire mesh tray manufacturers, including Thomas & Betts, offer basket/wire mesh tray with UL approved factory fabricated fittings.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just a suggestion as to an explanation.

Whoever made that chart assumed the basket/wire mesh tray was only available in straight sections and the installer?s needed to field fabricate fittings, adding to the labor. The traditional ladder tray was using factory fabricated fittings.

Today, some basket/wire mesh tray manufacturers, including Thomas & Betts, offer basket/wire mesh tray with UL approved factory fabricated fittings.
Hmmm.... I believe you are looking at the tables bass ackwards. Mesh type indicates lower labor rates than the ladder type, as it should IMO.

DougAles

Hmmm.... I believe you are looking at the tables bass ackwards. Mesh type indicates lower labor rates than the ladder type, as it should IMO.

Upon reviewing the data, yes, you are correct.

I do not see any reference to load weight, span length, or NEMA rating. It could be a apples to oranges comparison, where the load is so light the strength of tray and span between supports do not matter.

With cable tray, when you see "number" "letter" in a specification the "number" is the span in feet between support and the letter is the number of pounds per foot of capacity where A= 50 pounds per foot, B = 75 pounds per foot, C = 100 pounds per foot. So NEMA 20C tray, supported every 20 feet can carry a load of 100 pounds per foot. In addition there is a safety factor.

Basket type tray does not offer this NEMA load rating. Its up to the manufacturer to provide load and span rating information.

So yes, ignoring load capacity and support cost, just looking at labor for the tray alone, lightweight basket tray would be a faster installation when comparing it to a heavyer rated traditional rung style cable tray. Lightweight data cables could be a example where fill rate is reached before load rate.

As the load weight increases the span length of basket tray gets so small traditional ladder cable tray becomes more economical due to the reduction in needed supports.

I hope that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.