Flexible Metallic Tubing, Fitting? Anti Short Bushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeback

Here is a short length of Type FMT. I question the fittings used, and if there should be an anti short (redhead) installed as for Type AC cable assemblies. Thank you in advance for your comments. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SAM_0132.jpg
    SAM_0132.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Here is a short length of Type FMT. I question the fittings used, and if there should be an anti short (redhead) installed as for Type AC cable assemblies. Thank you in advance for your comments. :thumbsup:

You don't need the red heads,but there is no reason not to use them if you want too.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What is FMT? I know it stands for "flexible metallic tubing", but can't say if I've ever seen/used it. Is it smooth or does it have a spiraled jacket like FMC/Greenfield?
If the latter, how would you tell the difference between it and FMC?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had seen it on some recessed light fixtures years ago that were "approved for use in Chicago" (well at least that's what the label said). :)

Pfus.jpg

http://www.electriflex.com/products/tblpost.asp?tbl=PF

esox39

FMT is required in Chicago for use in plenums for light fixtures only. They come in 6' lengths with fittings that have rubber gaskets on them. Chicago has special codes for plenums that include the type of boxes, covers, fittings and wiring methods used.

Status
Not open for further replies.