I need to learn how to create wiring diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun54

I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mech Eng and have been asked to create some wiring and line diagrams for UL approved industrial control panels for my first job. I need some good resources to guide me through this... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mech Eng and have been asked to create some wiring and line diagrams for UL approved industrial control panels for my first job. I need some good resources to guide me through this... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sorry I have to ask this, but why didn't you learn what you are asking about wherever you got your degree?

Or do you have a question to ask that is not quite so general on that topic?

OK, just realized you said mechanical and not electrical engineering. I bet you still use similar design programs though for creating mechanical designs, so maybe you just need to get going in right direction with electrical components in a design program you are already familiar with?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hard to make any recommendations when we don't know how much you know about electrical/electronics, let alone circuitry, control, industrial panel design, etc. The knowledge required is dependent on the intricacy of the design. Just take a look at the images Google returns for a search of such...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wir...oELOqyQHDgoDICw&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=975&bih=1084

You'll have to determine what level you are at before we can give more specific answers...

PS: Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!
kwired and Samrt $ gave good advice. Those university degrees don't teach much practical in any event.

ASSUMING your employer has made similar items previously, see how THEY do it. Wiring and line diagrams are not unique, but "local practices" exist. If your panels are to be UL, my experience is that the panel geometry is drawn as well.

As a guy who has done lots of this (all non UL), almost always the designer of the control circuit creates the diagrams, usually interactively as they work. So additional information is needed, as they said, from you.

Thanks!

Go back to school and get an EE before you tackle any of the above tasks. Even then you need a couple of years of experience to get familiar with UL Standards.

It's like asking a marine to perform brain surgery.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you are delusional if you think someone can teach you how to design UL listed industrial control panels from a couple of posts on an Internet forum.

Have you even read UL508a? Start there. If you understand more than about 10% you might have a chance.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Thanks!

Could you clarify this a little?
In what form will you be getting the input of how the panels will be wired?
I have to assume that you will not be doing either the circuit or mechanical design, rather only transferring that information to a standard (electronically generated?) graphic format.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I think you are delusional if you think someone can teach you how to design UL listed industrial control panels from a couple of posts on an Internet forum.
Maybe the equipment is already designed and built and the OP simply wants to learn how to properly to create industry appropriate documentation.

Have you even read UL508a? Start there. If you understand more than about 10% you might have a chance.
UL508A provides very little constructive information on creating documentation.

Hopefully the OP has not been put off by the 'engineering bashing' and will continue to post.

fmtjfw

Go back to school and get an EE before you tackle any of the above tasks. Even then you need a couple of years of experience to get familiar with UL Standards.

It's like asking a marine to perform brain surgery.

Marines often perform brain surgery, but the outcome is not in the interest of the patient:happyyes:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
[/QUOTE=Cajun54;1535904]I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mech Eng and have been asked to create some wiring and line diagrams for UL approved industrial control panels for my first job. I need some good resources to guide me through this... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
WOW.

I hope your job isn't dependent on a quick completion or as others indicated, a beneficial completion.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Thanks!

Does your employer consider you qualified to perform this task?

Status
Not open for further replies.