Roping a house in cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEYDOG

Just curious if there is a certain temperature that it has to be in the winter time for you to be willing to install plastic boxes and run Romex in the winter time. The house is under roof but no doors or windows. A salamander helps very little when it gets down into the single digits. Boxes shatter easily and Romex gets damaged easier. If wind is blowing it is even colder. What are you guys thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The following info came from here http://www.southwire.com/products/RomexSIMpullTypeNMD90OEM.htm

Southwire?s Romex
? SIMpull? Type NMD90 cables may be used for both exposed work in dry locations or concealed work in dry or damp locations The maximum allowable conductor temperature is 90?C. The minimum recommended installation temperature is minus 25?C for two-conductor cables, and minus 10?C for three-conductor cables (with suitable handling procedures). Material should be properly stored above 0?C for 24 hours prior to installation. The maximum voltage rating for all intended applications is 300 volts. Consult the Canadian Electrical Code1 for further information related to applications

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
if you are worried about shattering boxes , stay away from carlon regular blue.

kbsparky

Been there, done that. I remember rough-wiring a house in winter several years ago, and the sheath kept cracking open. 10/3 was the worst offender.

Finally packed it in, and called it a day, since the lost productivity was costing me more than it was worth.

We went back in warmer weather to finish the job.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When I was wiring new houses in extremely cold temps, I had 1,000' of wire warming up all the time. I knew what wire I'd be pulling the first part of the day, so I'd put that in the cab of my van on the way to work so it was warmer when I get there. When I got there, I'd take that wire out and put in another 1,000'. At break time another 1,000' in. Lunch time another 1,000' in

Just two hours worth of wire at a time. Warming it up just 15 or 20 degrees will do a lot to keep the sheathing from cracking.

As far as the boxes breaking, I'd suggest hitting the nails only. Or use front-nailers.

Here in the KC area, nobody uses plastic boxes for new houses, everyone uses fiberglass. Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, miss the nail and that box is trash.

There comes a time when you've just gotta come in out of the cold, though. I never had a problem nailing boxes, drilling out, or pulling wire because I was constantly moving. But boy, when it was time to stand still for several minutes at a time making up 3- and 4-gang boxes, I was really looking to go home

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Just curious if there is a certain temperature that it has to be in the winter time for you to be willing to install plastic boxes and run Romex in the winter time. The house is under roof but no doors or windows. A salamander helps very little when it gets down into the single digits. Boxes shatter easily and Romex gets damaged easier. If wind is blowing it is even colder. What are you guys thoughts?

Never wired without windows.

I also like the carpenters to be finished.

I found this when a HI asked me to help him with a new construction (code) inspection. Building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical.

nails.jpg

Now how would you have like to have found out why the AFCI kept tripping in this 4000 SF home?

YES the nail went thought the NM.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
As far as the boxes breaking, I'd suggest hitting the nails only.

GOOD ONE!!

Never have had to worry about temp out here in PNW climate. OP question was one I've never considered.

Did install a garage door and added some circuits in -20F IL January one year, no problem with roping NM, but it sure was cold handling the garage door metal hardware!

Pulled a bunch of 4/0 cables in -45F in North Dakota at a missile site one time in the 70's, don't recall any problem there either, but pulled with winch. Everybody liked to gather around when we cadwelded the grounds <G>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Had a GC that wanted me to start roping when the 2 story home was framed. No sheeting no roof. I declined.
There is another thread discussing whether NM, not rated for wet conditions, can even be installed before the building is weather tight.
No roof might be OK if it is summer in the desert.

I have also noticed that it it much more likely that the interior of a partially closed building will get wet if snow blows in and melts than just from rain falling.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I always thought it was against code to run wire in a structure that wasn't weather-tight. I used to think doors, windows, roof and siding, but I guess tyvek is acceptable instead of shingles.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
According to your signature you are an inspector...so what would YOU do?

As much as I hate to assume. If I walked into a structure and saw the NM 'wet' I would ask it to be removed.

Have you ever seen Home Runs in a basement covered with water? The paper wicks the moisture up.

What if the electrician device'd the home? Nothing says he can't install devices and cover plates before drywall. What if just one of them was wet?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't install unless the place will be dry. On a very rare occasion I have done some wiring knowing that the weather would be clear for the few days it would take them to get the windows and doors installed.

But mostly if I show up to do the work and it's not weather tight I'll tell the guy that he's not ready for me. Then I'll go home and play video games or whatever else I'd rather be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.