Small PLC for learning and experimenting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a few potential projects coming up where a small PLC or similar controller is probably the right thing, but it's been a while, say over 25 years, since I really worked with PLCs. That was the GE Series-6, Allen-Bradley (PLC2?), and 5Ti days. I'd like to find some decent but inexpensive (and modern) units for getting my feet wet again.

8-ins (digital or 12vdc)
8-outs (dry contacts, 2a would be nice)
maybe a few analog ins/outs, but they're kinda optional
internal real-time clock (I'll need this for one of the projects)
doesn't need much for doing an MMI
decent programming tools, preferably on windoze (since that's what I have)
(all that is flexible)

Since this is coming out of my own pocket, I don't want to spend a month's pay on it, and used equipment is OK. Likewise, if there are some other control engines out there that aren't classic PLCs, they might be OK, too.

What are some good units to check out?

Thanks much (and a Happy New Year)

Rampage_Rick

I've scored a couple Micrologix 1100s off eBay for about $300 each. Cheaper if you're patient...

You can get free software to start off (RSlogix Micro) and then move into the paid stuff (RSlogix 500)

One of the nice things with the 1100 is you can program and debug over ethernet, instead of serial. (it's also a snap to network two units, I had inputs from one switching outputs on the other in 5 minutes)

Be sure to upgrade the firmware before you start to play. (there are security patches as well as new features) I believe the latest version is FRN 13, however the newest one I could find to download is FRN 11. The units I bought came with FRN 6 and upgraded to 11 easily.

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've scored a couple Micrologix 1100s off eBay for about $300 each. Cheaper if you're patient...

You can get free software to start off (RSlogix Micro) and then move into the paid stuff (RSlogix 500)

One of the nice things with the 1100 is you can program and debug over ethernet, instead of serial. (it's also a snap to network two units, I had inputs from one switching outputs on the other in 5 minutes)

Be sure to upgrade the firmware before you start to play. (there are security patches as well as new features) I believe the latest version is FRN 13, however the newest one I could find to download is FRN 11. The units I bought came with FRN 6 and upgraded to 11 easily.

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html
Better yet, for that small of an I/O count you can get a new MicroLogix800 series with a couple of analog modules for less than that, and the software for those is now free. It's called Connected Components Workbench and it is also used to program all of the Component Class HMIs if you ever decide later to try that, plus it programs all of the AB drives and most soft starters now.

Full disclosure; although I am no longer a bit twiddler, I now work for a division of Rockwell. I only mentioned this in context to this post because I know that many people are unaware of the fact that the micro PLC software is now free, something that has been, until recently, a wholly foreign concept for anyone using AB products.

Last edited:

Nom Deplume

Better yet, for that small of an I/O count you can get a new MicroLogix800 series with a couple of analog modules for less than that, and the software for those is now free. It's called Connected Components Workbench and it is also used to program all of the Component Class HMIs if you ever decide later to try that, plus it programs all of the AB drives and most soft starters now.

Full disclosure; although I am no longer a bit twiddler, I now work for a division of Rockwell. I only mentioned this in context to this post because I know that many people are unaware of the fact that the micro PLC software is now free, something that has been, until recently, a wholly foreign concept for anyone using AB products.

I just ordered a Micro830 with an analog in and out modules along with the rtd module.
i am planning on learning on the CCW software.
Also ordered a Panelview T4T. I want to try to write a program to make this a differential temperature controller for a Powerflex 400 drive.

If I start with CCW can I upgrade to RS Logix 500 and edit my program in the future?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check on the Domore and the microLogix. As for being more interested in HMI/MMI, yes, but not at the moment.

I know that many people are unaware of the fact that the micro PLC software is now free, something that has been, until recently, a wholly foreign concept for anyone using AB products.

he he, back in the '80s I was lugging around a 20+ pound A-B programmer.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I just ordered a Micro830 with an analog in and out modules along with the rtd module.
i am planning on learning on the CCW software.
Also ordered a Panelview T4T. I want to try to write a program to make this a differential temperature controller for a Powerflex 400 drive.

If I start with CCW can I upgrade to RS Logix 500 and edit my program in the future?
Yes you can, although technically it wouldn't be an "upgrade", you would buy Studio5000 and it can import a CCW generated file.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check on the Domore and the microLogix. As for being more interested in HMI/MMI, yes, but not at the moment.

he he, back in the '80s I was lugging around a 20+ pound A-B programmer.
Oh, the "lite" version eh? I go back to the introduction of the PLC, the ORIGINAL one before the PLC-2. The programming terminal was not portable back then... Unless you had a heavy duty shop cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.