Above Counter Plugmold

Status
Not open for further replies.

dema

I just had an Indiana customer tell me that they were told that it is against code to install plugmold above a bank counter. The context was above the counter below the window for the drive through. Do you have any idea why this would be against code?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Was the plugmold mounted in such a manner that the receptacles were facing up ?
If so 404.4(E) could be applicable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In the '08 it's 406.4(E) and you are correct, that is for dwelling units (read it 3 times and still missed the words)
Strange happenings in the '11. There was a ROP change that showed the wording changed so as to remove the dwelling unit only restriction, however,the wording remains.
(Perhaps it was shot down in committee)

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In the '08 it's 406.4(E) and you are correct, that is for dwelling units (read it 3 times and still missed the words)
Strange happenings in the '11. There was a ROP & ROC that showed the wording changed so as to remove the dwelling unit only restriction, however,the wording remains.
Any change in 2014 NEC?

kwired

Electron manager
406.5(E) does say dwelling units in the title. That said the rest of the article says "Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces". IMO surface mounted receptacles, which generally would include plugmold, would be acceptable, flush mounted receptacles facing up would not be acceptable though.

reply based on what is written in 2011 NEC.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
406.5(E) does say dwelling units in the title. That said the rest of the article says "Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces". IMO surface mounted receptacles, which generally would include plugmold, would be acceptable, flush mounted receptacles facing up would not be acceptable though.

reply based on what is written in 2011 NEC.

If the wording had indicated "on" countertops instead of "in" then "face up" surface mounted receptacles and general plugmold would be a violation and not a flush mounted receptacle.
To me they're both equally open to something falling into them regardless.
either half a cup of coffee into the surface mounted receptacle or a full cup into the flush mounted one.:)

kwired

Electron manager
If the wording had indicated "on" countertops instead of "in" then "face up" surface mounted receptacles and general plugmold would be a violation and not a flush mounted receptacle.
To me they're both equally open to something falling into them regardless.
either half a cup of coffee into the surface mounted receptacle or a full cup into the flush mounted one.:)
Subject to something falling to either one is true, I don't feel the chances are equal though. Even a receptacle on a vertical surface has some risk of foreign material entering it, though likely less than any face up receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.