Cable / Ladder Tray as Work Platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I have been asked to work on a pair of space heaters. The catch? Access.

Access from below is limited by the production line. Boom, articulating boom, scissor lift, ladder - all no-go. Apart from constructing a massive scaffold- something inhibited by the various ceiling and floor clutter - I don't see a way to access them .... unless ...

Yup. Right behind, and slightly lower than, the heaters is a ladder tray. Just the right height for working on the heaters, and with easy lift access just a couple feet to the side. Tray has a single layer of tray cable, all live. We could probably kill the power - but do we really need to?

This tray is practically screaming out "Make wood decking to slip on top of the rails, and stand on me!"

Any thoughts? Is this an 'of course, do it!,' or a 'are you nuts?' approach?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ho ho! You will not be using the tray to support non-electrical equipment or anything specifically prohibited from support by a cable tray.
Don:t set tools or loose parts on the wood (magnetic fields you know)
You should be able to find information on the weight limits of that particular tray (if installed correctly).
OSHA may not like it and I would never recommend that you do it. But I might do it myself
:)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Access from below is limited by the production line. Boom, articulating boom, scissor lift, ladder - all no-go. Apart from constructing a massive scaffold- something inhibited by the various ceiling and floor clutter - I don't see a way to access them .... unless ...

Yup. Right behind, and slightly lower than, the heaters is a ladder tray. Just the right height for working on the heaters, and with easy lift access just a couple feet to the side. Tray has a single layer of tray cable, all live. We could probably kill the power - but do we really need to?

This tray is practically screaming out "Make wood decking to slip on top of the rails, and stand on me!"

fourletter word: OSHA

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

putting cable in the tray in a powerhouse involved crawling out on it,
clipping off to something sturdy, and hand over handing the cable.... 5 guys on the
crew, and all of us were all over doing that... highest ones were about 80' off the
deck... La Poloma, outside of bakersfield..... nobody even blinked.

i'd do it myself. i would not direct anyone to do it, here or anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.