Bonding of Metal Gas Piping in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
So, we just moved here to Texas and are buying a new (to us) home. Had the home inspection, yada yada. The gas piping in the home is not bonded to anything. So, I ask for the piping to be bonded to the service. The electrician who changed the panel out, and the one the homeowner called back, says "We don't do that, except on new homes. It creates another conductor."

I'm thinking, "What?!?" Is there something special about bonding and grounding that I've missed all these years? Is there something about the metal in Texas . . . ?

My code book is in a box in storage so I can't tell him where in article 250 to look. Anyone ever heard of that?

jumper

So, we just moved here to Texas and are buying a new (to us) home. Had the home inspection, yada yada. The gas piping in the home is not bonded to anything. So, I ask for the piping to be bonded to the service. The electrician who changed the panel out, and the one the homeowner called back, says "We don't do that, except on new homes. It creates another conductor."

I'm thinking, "What?!?" Is there something special about bonding and grounding that I've missed all these years? Is there something about the metal in Texas . . . ?

My code book is in a box in storage so I can't tell him where in article 250 to look. Anyone ever heard of that?

Is this the section you wanted?

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural
Steel.

(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in, or attached to, a
building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including
gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be
bonded to the service equipment enclosure; the grounded
conductor at the service; the grounding electrode conductor,
if of sufficient size; or to one or more grounding electrodes
used. The bonding conductor(s) or jumper(s) shall be
sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the
circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The
equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely
to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the
bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding
jumper(s) shall be accessible.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Yes. I knew it was in the 100+ section of the article. I'm wondering if anyone knows why you would not bond the piping or if there is a reason particular to Texas (Houston Metro area) that does not require it.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Galvanized pipe. I'll get up in the attic and see if it is bonded there. I don't think it is.

In the Phoenix (metro) area, if you do any work to a Meter+Load Center or all-in-one, you have to bring all of the grounding up to current code. There is no grandfathering of that. This guy is saying it is, I guess.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Galvanized pipe. I'll get up in the attic and see if it is bonded there. I don't think it is.....
This is the most important part, even though it is toward the end.

250.104.....The bonding conductor(s) or jumper(s) shall be
sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the
circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The
equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely
to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the
bonding means.
It's likely you are already bonded.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Yes. I knew it was in the 100+ section of the article. I'm wondering if anyone knows why you would not bond the piping or if there is a reason particular to Texas (Houston Metro area) that does not require it.

It appears there is only to amendments in Article 250

250.52(A)(3)

250.119(A)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I'll bet it is bonded via your furnace.

Is this black iron? CSST?

IMHO 'additional bonding' does nothing but make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Several million dollars in testing in the last few years have dispelled that warm and fuzzy feeling, it does work if applied correctly.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Several million dollars in testing in the last few years have dispelled that warm and fuzzy feeling, it does work if applied correctly.

Please show me a study. Additional bonding is going to help during a direct lightning strike how?

http://www.subrogationrecoverylawblog.com/articles/products-liability/csst-1/

"The Report cautions that merely bonding the CSST at its starting and/or ending point may not be sufficient and that ?a global equipotential solution is necessary to achieve a complete solution"

Global? :lol:

Not just me that thinks this!

Wenty4

bonding of metal gas piping in Texas

bonding of metal gas piping in Texas

your gas piping is most certainly already bonded by whatever equipment it is connected to ie. gas range, fireplace water heater boiler\furnace etc. there should be no reason to bond any further unless CSST- corrugated stainless steel tubing (flexible gas piping not an appliance connector) has been installed. At that point you need to attach a #6 AWG conductor to the black iron. This is for lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.