Long time Pickup settings (lr)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a breaker coordination study for a new unit substation. I have a single set of 500MCM (good for 380A) protected by an 800A static adjustable trip breaker. Do I need to set the long-time pick up settings 0.5 (400A) to properly protect the feeders?...I do not have the current loads

templdl

I am doing a breaker coordination study for a new unit substation. I have a single set of 500MCM (good for 380A) protected by an 800A static adjustable trip breaker. Do I need to set the long-time pick up settings 0.5 (400A) to properly protect the feeders?...I do not have the current loads
If the long time is capable of being field adjustable up to 800a then the cable must be rated at lease 800a.
If the long time adjustment can be locked or sealed in the 400a position being accessible by onle qualified people the you could protect a 500mcm cable with it. Does that make sense? You just don't want a situation where some thinks that they can just wall up and cranks the long time adjustment up from the 400a setting.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The adjustable trip rating? 240.6(B) and (C).

A plastic cover (standard on most adjustable trips) which 'requires a tool to open' is usually deemed sufficient to provide restricted access. Most of these covers have a method of being sealed by a wire or cable tie. I encourage the sealing to be done with 'bright pink' ties as they allow an easy visual check that the breaker has been commissioned with my settings.

BostonEE

As long as the circuit breaker is located behind locked doors accessible only to qualified personnel (240.6(C)(3)), i.e. located in an electrical room, you're okay. But the long-time pick up setting should be 0.4 (320A) if the conductor is only rated for 380A.

topgone

Setting your long time pickup at 0.5 (400A) means you will get warnings when the load nears 380A and will surely trip when 400A is reached. Keep in mind that the 380A rating is based on cables installed with 75 deg C rated lugs and an ambient temperature of 30 deg. C. You could be good at 0.5 LTPU setting; if your ambient temp is higher than 30 deg or you have limitations on your terminal lugs, you could choose the next lower setting, IMO.

Setting your long time pickup at 0.5 (400A) means you will get warnings when the load nears 380A and will surely trip when 400A is reached. Keep in mind that the 380A rating is based on cables installed with 75 deg C rated lugs and an ambient temperature of 30 deg. C. You could be good at 0.5 LTPU setting; if your ambient temp is higher than 30 deg or you have limitations on your terminal lugs, you could choose the next lower setting, IMO.

Look at the trip curves a little more carefully and you will see that a 400A setting will result in the breaker 'potentially' tripping after 100-10000 seconds, but due to the deadband and repeatibility the value could be anywhere 0-10% of setting.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Do you have a code reference for that? If so, I'm in trouble.

The other section being referenced here is 240.4(B), which allows protection of <800A conductors at the next highest standard setting over their ampacity, with the standard sizes being listed in 240.6(A).

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
The rating of the terminals is a mute point, it is an 800A breaker, which means it can take 800A at 75 deg C. Being able to handle 400A is not an issue.

If I was doing the settings, I would set it at 400A. Remember the cable is actually good for 430A at 90 deg C. At 430A on the cable, I doubt the terminals will be anywhere near 75 deg C, since they are capable of 800A at 75 deg C.
at 400A, which the trip device will initiate you should be well within all the ratings.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought he or she was only doing the coordination study and wouldn't know what the calculated load is. If I were doing a coordination study I would limit my assumptions.
Why would you be doing a coordination study if you don't know the load? You have to know the load to pick the OCPDs and conductors.

BostonEE

Why would you be doing a coordination study if you don't know the load? You have to know the load to pick the OCPDs and conductors.

The OCPD and conductors are already selected, the original post is only establishing the settings - perhaps as a third party review. Either way, you're right, I forgot about 240.4(B) and the ability to exceed the ratings of the conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.