applying for inspector job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1971

Hi fellow electricians. I have been a journeyman for the past 9 years and in the electrical "field" for 14 years. I am applying for a city inspector job and i was hoping you could give me some pointers for the interview and/or any web sites to help me increase my overall knowledge of building codes. Thanks for any advice that is offered!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What are the requirements for the job you're seeking? Do you need any inspector licenses?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hi fellow electricians. I have been a journeyman for the past 9 years and in the electrical "field" for 14 years. I am applying for a city inspector job and i was hoping you could give me some pointers for the interview and/or any web sites to help me increase my overall knowledge of building codes. Thanks for any advice that is offered!

Welcome to the forum...:thumbsup:

Here is a great place to learn the NEC....:) http://forums.mikeholt.com

This one too.. http://www.mikeholt.com

:D

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Jim 1971- This site has been a blessing for me. For building codes, I visist "thebuildingcodeforum" daily. I have been inspecting 24 years and have obtain certification through ICC and NFPA for various facets. My area does not require any certification so it is all self motivation. As always stated on this and other sites, let the code do your talking and not your opinion. Back it up with code and do not be afraid to tell someone "I need to check on that". Alot will depand on what the jurisdiction is looking for. Treat all people the same so you do not imply a favorite. This is a real problem in small communities because you know everyone. Good luck with the interview and hope to see your post again.

Just be honest in the interview, When our city manager interviewed me he asked "what qualifies you to be an inspector". I told him I have flunked enough inspections over the past 30 years I no what not to do! He went ahead and hired me . 8 years into it I have learned a lot from some trusted contractors, passed all my ICC certifications and continue to learn from areas like this forum. The previous post is correct, in a small town make sure you treat everyone the same because if you don't it will come back to haunt you. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.